Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I met with my surgeon today and we are looking at a fusion for L4 5 & L5 S1. I am only 33 years old and really worried. I have tried physical therapy, injections and a nerve block all leaving me still in pain. The nerve block worked somewhat for about 10 months. I want children so I feel now is the time to do this but really worry about the recovery. Also I have to decide if I want to do the surgery in through the abdomen or the back. Any thoughts or advice from those of you who have been there?

• Hi Tisme

Welcome to the forum, i hope you find the answer to your questions. For me only i had the PLIF and they used the BMP along with it. I'm 18 months post op and i'm feeling really well unless i stand or sit too long. I'm not allow to twist or lift more then ten pounds at a given time. As long as i stick to the rules i feel great. I'm 62 i'm so glad i had it done. =D>

Everyone is afraid before surgery and this forum gave me the surport i needed. I have learned so much here and i will always be greatful. Good luck my dear.

Evelyn :D
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • I had the same surgery and I'm 2 months post op. I'm 56. Already I can function much better. This is a wonderful, caring online community. Post your questions and you'll receive a wealth of information back!

It's not an easy surgery but if an "old gal" like me can make it, you can too! As far as PLIF (posterior) vs ALIF (anterior) is concerned, my doc didn't give me a choice. I don't know much about the ALIF but there are many here who have had it and I know there are pros and cons to both approaches. Talk over your options with your doc.

And be sure when you discuss your surgery options, you make sure your doc knows that you want to have children.

Keep us informed, sweetie. We want to know all about it. And welcome to "the neighborhood."
  • Do you have nerve impingement? I know facing surgery is scary, but you've found a great online group for support.

Welcome to Spine Health!!

• L5-S1 fusion through the belly. It has wreaked havoc on my body! The docs that I have seen after the surgery said that the reason that I am more than likely still in pain is because the fusion was done ONLY through the front. So either go through the back or back and front.
    I became pregnant (planned =D> ) after my fusion. I was 28 when I was fused and had my son when I was 30! The awesome part of it is that i had NO back pain at all during my pregnancy. Labor and delivery went awesome also. The only painful part of it was the fact that my son decided to come out face up! So that caused a lot of tailbone area pain. Anyway I wish you luck adn dont been too nervous. If you want, get a second or even third opinion to ease your mind!!! Hope this helps a teeny bit. MJ
  • Tisme...I'm 35 and headed towards this surgery myself. My doc also gave me the choice and said he'd do whichever I wanted, but that the recovery going through the front was easier because they don't have to cut through any muscle like they do from the back. However, I've got more questions for him when I go for my pre-op next week...he'd told me they're using rods and screws to keep the vertebrae in place (I have Grade II Spondy), but from what I've read, it seems they can't place the hardware in an ALIF? So now I'm confused!!! Good luck with your decision...there are SO many things to consider!

MelissaJo...why did the ALIF "wreak havoc" on your body? I'm scheduled for an ALIF at L5-S1 on Feb. 4th! Do tell please!
  • momof2girlies

Thanks so much for the reply. I have been reading these off and on all day to see what has been sent as a response. Everyone is so supportive which I am thankful for but I seem to have more questions everytime I turn around. I guess that is how it goes with such a big decision. I have been leaning towards the front only because of the faster recovery. I really want to get back to work as soon as I can.
    Please let me know what answers you get when you go back to your surgeon. I am hoping to get the actual surgery scheduled ASAP but it depends on my boyfriends travel schedule since he would be the caretaker. Thanks for letting me know I am not alone!