Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery is over!!

libby724llibby724 Posts: 107
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Had my 3 level (C4-&) ACDF ysererday. Got home from the hospital today. Everything went well. My biggest complaint is that my throat is so sore. I knew it would be sore but this is more than I expected. Also I have soreness (not really pain) in the back of my neck and between the shoulder blades....arms are sore too but I think its just from the surgery....

Thanks to all who have helped with all my quesitons. Oh I am in a Miami J collar and its not as bad as i thought it would be....

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Libby, it sounds like you're doing great. I hope you continue to do so well. Take it easy....
  • thats great,glad your doing better. take it easy and make sure you don't do anything your not supposed to just because your feeling better.things can change very quickly.rest as much as you can.
  • glad your doing good! take it easy and relax a bit! sore throat and shoulder pain is normal. have someone massage your shoulders it worked for me very little to no pain after 3 months 2level acdf.
  • Libby
    Congrats on doing so well. Had my surgery 6 days ago, 2 days in hospital, home Sunday in time for football playoffs! I also did not expect my throat to be as sore or as tight. Swallowing is difficult, but last day or 2 not as painful. I do have muscle pain in upper back, scapula area and neck. Arm soreness is from the position your body was put in during the surgery.

Massage relieves it but it doesn't go away. Propping up with pillows so weight of head is not on shoulders helps a lot.

I do not have a collar (have the titanium plate and screws and NS doesn't use the collar). Am able to move around fine except for bending down. No picking up my kitties for awhile; they just jump up on my lap and one has slept beside me all night since I got home. He is making sure I am being well taken care of.
    Good luck with a speedy recovery.

• I am feeling better each day. Took a shower today so that really helped. I had some issues with my pain medication but now that that is resolved and I have something that works I and doing so much better.

If any one has any questions I would be glad to help. I don't get on every day but just for a few minutes when I feel up to it. Eating is still hard but it is getting better. Thank god for Jello and Popsicles....

I really do believe the worrying was worse than the actual surgery!! Easy for me to say now that its done!!

• Congrats on getting through the surgery and feeling better. I hope your recovery goes well.

I totally agree with you, as I've said the same thing - in hindsight, the anticipation was worse than the actual surgery.

Take care of yourself. You may feel like Superwoman some days, but take it easy or it'll bite you where you sit!

• I just had C45 and C56 done on Dec 26 and I got to start driving on Friday!!!! I couldn't believe it..but now they think I have rotator cuff problems with my right arm and am going to the orthopedic doctor on Wed this week..my left arm came back really well..my throat hurt for over two weeks but now I just choke sometimes...it still is hard to sleep at night but each morning is better....the shower was the best part after getting home...hugs, cheryl