Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Rare? Drop foot and nerves cont. pls read

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:26 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well all of my friends,
I had posted a few days ago about some random foot pain I was having post op. I went three to four weeks post op pain free in my left foot that was drop foot prior to surgery. I was elated after surgery that I was able to move and control my foot and was starting to get sensation back. I was rebounding fast, doing PT three times a week and feeling really good, then BAM pain in the foot came on for no apparent reason. I now have that reason and was something no one expected to happen. Its not perma nerve damage, not healing nerves, not anything like that.
I went to see my NS today and told them of my foot condition and immediatly they ordered an urgent CT scan of my back. They wanted to see if anything had shifted since surgery. Well, it did as it turns out. Some of the donor bone has come away from the disc area and has pinched a nerve. My NS was shocked as he has never had this happen in a patient. Which really is no big surprise to me as I like to call myself Diagnosis X. I dont do things normal.
Luckily they caught it, and I am not fusing yet which is actually a good thing or this material fragment could turn into bone right on my nerve. My option is to do a steroid treatment for a week to see if inflamation has caused that material to kind of dislodge a bit and once the inflamation is down it to will go back into its proper place. Should it not happen I will be having surgery again at seven weeks to correct it.
Although I hated the world at first and left in tears, I am thankful that my surgeon didnt write me off as someone who was just complaining about a toe and prescribed me something to help with nerve damage. He wanted proof that my back was either in tact still or not. Very responsible surgeon and I trust him to no end. I will be finding out next Wed what will be the course of action should the steroid not work.
Has anyone else had this happen (I know this is no fault of my surgeon as he was very prompt in finding out if anything shifted) I also thought it could be food for thought, I feel lucky that he checked and I wasnt written off as just having nerve damage. He took the time to look at a toe and this is fixable still.
Just wanted to share, Im trying to stay positive and really hope the steroid does the trick. If not well, surgery may be needed to put the little sucker back in place.
Food for thought though on nerve issues I think....

Thank you all for your ongoing support

• When I asked them at first if I needed to be on nerve pain management they said, no we are hesitant to do that till we run the CT. They actually listened to me and found the root cause. I am thankful, but please pray this steroid works. No one wants surgery again, I know I dont! But will do it if it is necessary.
    All of this over a toe....who knew
  • you are so lucky your doctor ordered that CT!! I hope the steroid works for you!

Keep us posted!

• i feel for you wahini thats bad and good thank god you had great ns thats critical for our condition i have drop foot from nerve damage and fused at l4l5s1 and DDD stenos its pretty crueling to say the least and my prayers are diffently for you and think you very brave i am 49 and look at you stay strong and glad you do pt thats really good to combat DDD the rest is in gods hands.
  • Hey Nugget! You know that we are all here for you! 'specially me, cause I am the famous Timmay! I will always be here for you and wish you the best. You know that you can always text or IM me anytime if you need anyone to talk to. Since I am crazy according to my doctor, I can't say that I know what you are going through, so the only thing that I can do is be here for you. Shubulah Timmay! :))(
  • I guess we need to hold off on our super hero plan as I am having a set back too. I am so sorry to hear you are having problems after surgery but I am glad they found the problem and you found a doc to listen. I will keep you in my prayers and we will resume to our back mobile once we bounce back. For now, rest when you can and listen to your body. Don't push yourself. I am glad you joined this site and have found comfort in becoming your friend.

Please keep us updated.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    of this happening before with donor bones. That might have been one of the reasons I always went with my own bone graft. It is a bit more painful, but I wanted what was going to fuse me to be MINE!
    It is very good that they did catch this problem. Having the bone chip float can create problems. Lets just hope and pray it stays just at hitting a nerve. That I am sure is painful, but things could be a lot worse.
    Hopefully the CT Scan will help determine the course of action. In my non-medical approach, I would only think they would want to go in and correct that situation. Cant imagine a chip floating around.
    Sounds like you have trust in your doctor which is good, and I know you have the proper attitude to deal with this both emotionally and physically.
    If you have you doubts, just think of this:
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • everyone for your words of encouragement and support. Very much appreciated. Im so glad you posted Ron I was beginning to think that I was the only person in the world this has happened to, and like you I hope they fix it and it doesnt set me back at square one. Sure would like this pain to go away in my foot. The picture of the surger...nice touch lol.
    Ming we will have to postpone for now but once we are both up and runnin...or at least walking at a faster pace we will return to the back mobile lol. I hope you get to feeling better.
    Zach, the feeling that came back was patchy numbness with some very hypersensative areas, its hard to say just yet as this bone piece is pressing on the nerve to the foot what my foot is actually feeling. However before the pain I had some patchy numbness but regained full function of the foot instantly post op.
    Thank you all again, where theres a will...Im there.
  • All I can say is good luck and thank deity you have good providers.