Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

leg and foot are colder on the damaged{operated side}

strakerstraker Posts: 1,851
hi all
as i lay here in my recliner .i was just wondering if any of you lovely people who have had surgery on there back also have a cold foot and a colder to touch lower leg ?mines on the right hand side same side as the operation .it can be painful as well as cold my feet are different temps!!
i would like to know if this has happened to you?

• I was just talking about this in my post today. I've been in a lot of pain today and noticed my right food was freezing all day. The rest of me was fine. The right side is where I experience the most pain.
  • Both my feet are both abnormally cold all the time, and they are also very numb. I always thought it was related.

Another friend of mine said that he knew when he was due for his long acting med when his hands would get really really cold. I have noticed that as well, if I am late on a dose.

• But could it be a circulation issue?
  • I also thought about it being a circulation issue. I issued to have this issue with hands and feet when I smoked but I quit over 2 yrs ago and doesn't usually seem to bother me as it did that day.
  • its strange but this has only happened since the operation so i think something happen when they last opened me up .when i came round from the operation i have this pain and cold feeling in my leg.
  • One good way to tell if circulation may be an issue is whether you have hair growing on your hands/feet. If you do then circulation isn't necessarily the problem as hair is one of the first things to go. I'mn not a gorilla but am fairly hairy, even hair growing on to the first knuckles of my fingers! :P
  • yes i have heard of that one and there is no difference between legs {they are the same}
  • Hi Straker

Thanks for posting about this topic. I have been thinking I have been going mad because my feet have been very cold since my fusion operation in October 2007. Both of my feet have been cold through the summer and now in the British winter they are freezing. I have noticed that the symptoms are worse on my right foot and I am getting really bad toe pain when walking. My right side was worked on the most during my op and that is where I get most of my residual symptoms normally.

I went to my doctor and he said I have normal circulation which is good.He told me to stay out of the cold....like I haven't thought of that!(I am 32 not 105 years old!) My symptoms are worst when I am sitting down. I am seeing my physio on Friday for the first time in 9 months and she is going to try traction and acupuncture. I have invested in silver infused socks which help a bit.

I am glad I am not the only one who has noticed the foot problems and that I am not imagining things :)

Thanks and Best Wishes

L4/L5 & L5/S1 Fusion and decompression surgery with instrumentation on 1st October 2007
  • i am happy that there are a few of us with the same symptoms..when you ask any medical people anything like {should my feet be different temps now that i have had an operation} they look at you as though you are mad! web sits like this one are very good for us to ask what may be to others a daft question..because we can get a bit of reassurence from each other...i have used many examples of my feeling/problems to my doctor and given him reference to this site so he can see for his self that its not just me with the same problem if you know what i mean!!
  • I talked with lots of docs about this...no one wanted to answer my question. As was stated in several posts I've read on this site, "They thought I was mad."
    No, you are not mad, and temperature differences from back pain make perfect sense. The answer actually came from a pharmacist friend of mine. Nerves close to the skin sense hot air and make us sweat, cold and we get chill bumps. If any of you are like me, you don't get chill bumps in certain areas. Doesn't mean nerves don't totally work, they could be partially dysfunctional with the ones closest to the skin acting the weirdest.
    Also, do you have skin sensation in the areas that are cold? If not, it's another sign that the nerves closest to the skin, the ones that sense hot and cold acting as our thermometer are not working right.
    Answer can also be found if you look up information about skin. One of the first things it will say is how our skin works to regulate our body temps.
    Why the docs don't just come out and say this? I'm clueless, but where I don't have skin sensation I'm either too cold, or too hot. In the summer certain areas get over heated.
    Go firgure.

No medical training just didn't take that you're crazy look for an answer.