Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bertolloti Syndrome Help!!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Chronic Pain
Can Bertolloti syndrome cause severe lower neck/shoulder pain????

• I've never heard of this until now. Why hasn't my doc mentioned this? Upon researching this, it sounds so similar to what I am experiencing which makes sense why I didn't respond to fusion. Maybe this is something I need to bring up the neuro when i see him for the 1st time. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your post. I was very curious what it was. I don't know the answer to your question, however, I hope you find releif somewhere.
  • i am in the beginning stages of diagnosis. i am having a CT done next. There is NOTHING on the net about it, which is aggravating! Everyone that posts on here though speaks of all of their pain in the hip/leg area. I have problems there, and major problems with posture as well as a slight limp,,,but my biggest pain is with my lower neck (where it meets the back) and my shoulder.
  • Hey texas, I have been diagnosed by my Chiropractor as having Bertolotti Syndrome. I have ALOT of shoulder pain in the right shoulder that has been deemed as 'chronic'. Keep in mind though that I have a physical job that requires me to use my shoulders for heavy lifting! However, my left shoulder does the same amount of work as my right and I have never had any problems there. My right foot has alot of pain as well. Apparently my Bertolotti Syndrome appears on the right side (which imobilizes that one side) and I have been overcompensating with my shoulder and foot in order to be properly balanced. I have not yet experienced any lower back pain from this syndrome like everyone else, but I feel tremendously unbalanced in everything I do and and don't even feel as though I am sitting straight. Anyone else feel this way?? Is there some kind of surgery I can do to get the mobility back in my right hip(area) and start feeling balanced again? I life in the Greater Toronto Area -anyone have any recommendations??
  • It's funny that this subject came up again cuz I forgot about my post on this back in Jan and just happened to stumble across this word yesterday and tried to find info on the net. There still isn't much out there. The info out there is not in lamen's terms so it's hard to understand.

I haven an appt with a neurosurgeon on 3/24 and was going to bring this up to him. Does anyone have any other info on this? Do you have any links you could direct me to.

You can also PM the information and then I can send you my email address if you have literature that you could scan and email to me. I would appreciate on info on this that may be available so I can bring to doc on 3/24 new patient appt.

Thanks in advance.
  • Texas1234,

I would not think that Bertolloti's would cause neck or shoulder pain unless it is an indirect result of compensating for the lower back issues. I have this condition also but my base pain area is always lower back but my upper back & neck gets jacked-up once in a while mostly due to positioning and trying to get comfortable with my lower back.

Good Luck and let us know what happens with you.
This discussion has been closed.