Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trouble Understanding MRI

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I will start by saying that I'm 29 and I was in 2 bad car accidents within 15 months of each other. I recently saw my doctor about pain in my neck and shoulder and she referred me to get an MRI. I got the MRI and went back to the doctor and she seemed really surprised by the results and told me I'm too young to be having a problem like that with my neck. My question is about the results. Maybe someone can help me understand it. She never said exactly what the problem is but underlined the following segment: "At C5-6, there is asymmetrical broad based right paracentral protrusion somewhat effacing the thecal sac and causing mild or mild to moderate narrowing of the right lateral recess and p;ossibly slight narrowing of the neural foramen". This may as well be written in Greek. I know I could just wait until I see the neurosurgeon but I was hoping to find out what I'm up against. I'd like to know if surgery is likely, if I will be on meds the rest of my life, or anything else. At the least, just an explanation of what it means. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :-C
advertisement

Comments

• I'm so sorry you have had the 2 wrecks so close together and now have cervical issues. I am a lumbar patient, myself.

How soon can you see the neurosurgeon?

Welcome to Spine Health!

Cheri
  • I am not qualified in the slightest to interpret the language - but it does seem to indicate a herniated disc that is protruding slighly into places it shouldn't - like the foramen space, which is where the nerve root comes out from the spinal canal.

The words mild and moderate are encouraging. With mild to moderate issues, you might have some good non-surgical options to try. My results said "severe" and I think they would have been worded "oh my god" if such a statement was in the medical dictionary!

Hope this helps.