Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Droupy eye after surgery? anyone else?

veajavveaja Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had neck surgery on Dec 8. Four levels with hardware. I remember the next day in the hospital that my right eye was droupy (sp) not swollen. I went back today for my four week check up and told the doc. He says it is not from the surgery. What else could it been from. Did this happen to anyone else. Thanks

• Are you taking any medications? Soma seems to be a culprit sometimes in rare cases it can cause this. I've looked at some other common muscle relaxers that most people generally take after surgery but this one seems to be the only one that I can find that might cause this. This is just my own opinion and you should definitely consult your doctor if this persists.
  • My NS says it is not from surgery. I noticed it when I was in the hospital. My PCD talkes with the NS. I am still on meds. Roxicodone. I still have pain in my arms and neck. Thanks to all and thanks for the welcome
  • Read this and see what you think and maybe you can discuss this with your doctor. Of course DO NOT self diagnose on the internet but I think that sometimes we as patients feel more confident in having our symptoms validated in some way and help us get through the tough times until we can find answers from our doctors.

So here is what I've been able to come up with:
    Acquired Aponeurotic ptosis which may be involutional or post-operative (It always references any trauma not just specific trauma to the eye.)

Of course you can google it and see what you come up with. It doesn't seem to be very common at all and maybe something that your doctor might not have even considered.
  • Veaja
    I don't know if my problem is the same but similar. Since my surgery 3-19-08 whenever I wake up from a nap which is pretty much all I get. I have issues sleeping in bed. Anyway, my right eye stays closed. This happens every time I wake up. After awhile of being awake it opens up ok. I should have asked my dr's about this some time ago but did not. I am going to ask at my next appt. I did suffer vocal cord damage to my right vocal cord so perhaps my right eye is some how involved. My ACDF was C 5/6 and C 6/7. I did not have this problem before the surgery. I wonder if it is a nerve issue. I will let you know after my appt on Feb 9th. Good luck to you in your recovery.
  • My friend had a higher-level ACDF (C3-4 I think) and she experienced a droopy eye consequential to her surgery.

It went away after about 5-6 months.
  • I had left eye droop for about a week after my sugery in July. No one seemed to know why. Thankfully it went away.