Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question about lump

nursedina001nnursedina001 Posts: 235
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
OK>>maybe this is a stupid question but it is bothering me and I feel the only stupid question is one un-asked so here goes....

I am 4 weeks post PLIF of L-4/L5 4 weeks ago. My orginal problem was pain/and foot drop on the left.

Since surgery I have pain on right butt cheeck with a lot of hypersensitivity there also and foot drop never resolved on left. I also have a lot of right hip pain, My son noticed today that I have a largish bump on the right side of my scar that is not present on the left side, It is about the 1/2 size of a golf ball but not as far sticking out,

Is that normal? Anyone else have lumps etc ??

• ...where they had the drainage tube? I had a little lump next to my incision where they had pulled out the drainage tube.
  • nope..never had a drainage tube.

The lump was not there day before yesterday and today I have some right sided pain that was not there before including a little bit of sciatic pain going down to about mid thigh.

None of these were there 2 days ago.

Woke up this morning in pain and lump still there only on right side and it hurts to touch it also...

• Perhaps a collection of some sort of fluid? Or a beginning spinal fluid leak? But you'd have a monster headache w/ that...

Call your doc to be safe. You are only a month out, still very fragile. Maybe it's just related to healing, maybe it's not. B/c you have new sciatic pain & it hurts to touch the lump, & it wasn't there b4, you want to know what it is.

Call your doc.

• No headache to speak of, I am not sure what it is. Should I give it till Monday then call my doc? It is painful to touch but not ungodly so...it is right at the top 1/5 of my incision and it is painful to lay on also, maybe a 4/10. PAin meds did control the pain though.

What do you all think?

Thanks for any input!!
  • Have you had any drainage at all from that wound? It very well could be a seroma, especially if you haven't had drainage.

Dealing with a seroma myself right now. Not an infection, just a pocket of serous fluid, little bloody, that needs to drain. I was doing fine postop felt great, kind of wondered why the heck I had no drainage cuz the previous surgey I drained like crazy(slept on beach towels.) Then all of the sudden my pain out of control and I just felt sick. I didn't touch my incision, but I felt tons of inscisional pain and felt like it was going to bust open. I just felt like s***. Only way to describe it, best way to describe it.

Went to doc, he opened it up with q-tip, drained some of the fluid, offered to take me to OR to open it up and empty it. He agreed not to take me to OR if I could have someone open it and express the fluid four times a day(hubby and nurse friends), take antibiotics just in case, follow up appointment, and call him IMMEDIATELY if anything changed. Gave me stronger pain meds, I felt much better that night.

I would call your doctor now. It certainly could be a dural tear or just a seroma, but you need to call him.
  • Did you check out Zach's pictures on his update? His surgery was same day wasn't it? He also has some kind of lump that seems to be similar to what you are describing.
  • my lump looks like zach's lump but smaller. I think it is just some basic swelling. I will give it till AM. I have not felt the pain much since i am taking the paain meds. I will call mt home health nurses tomorrow to see if they can come over and look at it.

My boyfriend looked at it and it isn't getting any bigger so that is good,'

thanks :) I am so glad I have my fellow spineys here to listen :)

• Even though we are not doctors, it is nice to hear one another's stories to know that we are not alone and to hear things to bring up to our doctors as possibilites. Good luck to you, please post what your doc says, enquiring minds want to know!