Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jenfabjjenfab Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
well I am finally home and am glad to be...got home lastnight arounf 9pm. Didnt want to stay because i knew i would be more comfy at home in my comforpedic bed. My left leg feels pretty good (the one that was excruciationg in pain)stll feels numb arounf my calf and especially my foot. But what a difference! My back insiscion feels like a got hit by a baseball bat...but its berable at this time with him from good ol norco and fentanly. Doc said it was a pretty big disc blowout and he got what he could off the nerve root. I see him in 3-4 weeks to check in with him, but in the mean time i am to follow the BLT,No Bending, No Lifting and NO Twisting...just some walking...which I already started this morning. Cant shoer until sun...but no big deal there...when i couldnt even stand on my left leg..I was having my hubby wash my face and brush my teeth at the couch...i was pretty bad right before they rolled me into surgery..so i was happy to be put under. And I love that versad (sp?) they give you right before...aaaahhh la la land.

So just giving you all an update. My goal is to NEVER let this happen again if possibe. I know i was good before this 2nd micro I dont know what blew the disc out...maybe a sneeze or a cough? could be.

Thanks everyone for your support and well wishes,,they mean alot to me.

• Glad to hear you feel better. I had my first micro on Thursday and I feel so much better...no real pain at all. I am wondering if you can tell me how long you will be recovering for? My doc stated no sitting for more than 30 minutes for at least 3 weeks, no bedding, twisting, etc. But I feel so much better...I just want to go on with my old life...what to do and/or expect?
  • you are doing so good. Girl, Versed is one of my best friends!!! lol I totally agree!

Yep, no BLT's, at all. You will feel so good tomorrow when you can shower, just take it easy and let your hubby help you as much as he can. I have a really helpful hubby as well. He doesn't mind to do anything I need - just wants me well.

Take care!

• I just had my surgery one day after you...on fri. So recovery is only at day two. I am very sore today...more so then yesterday. Feels like a big weight is hanging off my back...feels heavy and very sore. I have numbness in my left foot and tingling too. Before surgery I lost function of that leg completly!! Couldnt put any weight on it and it atrophied quite a bit. I am hoping it will recover (leg). I am out of the worst pain thank god. i dont know how I lived through the last couple weeks...it was the most excruciating pain I have ever had and was up there with childbirth! Not kidding! But I am doing ok. Had my first BM today and was SO scared to strain. I took two stool softners yesterday, and it did help. I got through it thankfully ok...since I have read that some have re ruptured discs after surgery from straining...scary!! I am usually a small person and dont really have a belly, but I do now...mybe swelling? not sure but pretty bloated.

Good luck to you and I hope I answered your questions. We are on same recovery path it seems.
  • I hope things continue to get better too. What a horrible last couple weeks I had with pain. I want my left leg to be normal again. Yes Versad...great stuff..wish i has some at home lol. I am still on my meds...but its only been two days...on 100mcg fentanyl patches and Norco too. I hope I can eventually wean down...but after my 1st micro D I never fully got off meds and still had pain. I have other issues in back besides this L5 S1 blowout!

Thx u for words of encouragement...means alot cherish.
  • glad to hear your surgery went aall well. i had a lumbar laminectomy/discectomy on Dec 15 and am now about 5 1/2 weeks post opo and feeling great. not too bad for a 16 yr old i guess thats why im recovering so well since im young
  • I'm glad your home safe. Relax and don't overdo. I wish you a speedy recovery. Thats good to hear your doing so well Ajay. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN