Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Drug Possible good news for some~~~

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Fibromyalgia
I found this on AOL news this morning.....

NEW YORK (Jan. 14) - The Food and Drug Administration has approved a new drug for management of fibromyalgia, the manufacturers announced.
Savella, the brand name for milnacipran HCl, a selective serotonin and norepinephrine dual reuptake inhibitor, should be available in pharmacies by March, Forest Laboratories Inc. and Cypress Bioscience Inc. said Wednesday in a joint statement.

Until now, treatment has focused on analgesics, such as Tylenol and other acetaminophen painkillers, and sometimes antidepressants or muscle relaxants.
"Fibromyalgia is a complicated chronic pain condition, so it is important that physicians and patients have access to treatments that have been shown to help manage the symptoms that define the experience of fibromyalgia ," Dr. Daniel Clauw, an expert in rheumatology at the University of Michigan, said in the companies' statement.
"The introduction of Savella is important because it is the first drug approved to treat the symptoms of fibromyalgia using a composite responder analysis," he said.
The safety and efficacy of Savella was established in two U.S. clinical trials involving over 2,000 patients with fibromyalgia, the companies said.

I thought this may be interesting news to some. If you are under the treatment of a physician for fibromyalgia. This hopefully fingers crosssed may be that "majic pill" we have been waiting for :)

• I wonder if this drug would be something that could help get off of something else? I take Cymbalta but never think it does me any good. I know it hasn't helped with pain and I really question whether it helps with the depression. I would love to find something that really helps with these issues. Of course I could try it, it works great, and then my insurance puts up the stop sign telling me there are cheaper drugs to take. (Rant, rant) It makes me crazy! I really hope that this new drug is going to work!!
  • I sure hoping it will help alot of people. Fingers crossed. I mean I know lyrica is now approved for fibro to, but has totally different ingredients in it.
    This hopefully is what people have been waiting for.
    but just like all other drugs its going to work for one and not the other.
    I also took cymbalta. If your not depressed well in my eyes its not going to work. Same with the rest they hand out.
    Cymbalta for me worked the very first day and well did lessen the pain, But as the week went by I got so nausea's I was not eating and felt like I was totally zoned out.
    Out of all the meds they try for us now not one worked.
    Even now if I get a flare, yeah a pain med might ease it up but it does not go away thats for sure.

So I HOPING these 2 ingredients that are in this med truely make a difference for someone!!

But I totally agree on the insurance thing.
    When chantix came out my insurance company would have nothing to do with it. Now they pay for it.
    So that is another huge concern for those that want to try it when available!! I have alot of cyber buddies with fms and cfs and MAN they suffer daily.
    Thank goodness I only get a flare here and there.
    And I know when its coming on it starts in my shoulders and travels to my toes!! Now if I could get the new rheumy to understand that one!!
    Its like hello I already went through the ringer with testing from the first rheumy and now your saying my symptoms do not add up..
    ALL OVER BODY ACHE LANDS YOU IN BED is not a good enough "explanation" for him I guess.
    Ok going way off track!!!

March is around the corner so we shall see!!
  • WoW! thats good news. But do you know if it will be available in the UK? How are you today sweetie? >:D< >:D<

Angie x >:D<
  • Terri~
    I agree with you... some things work for some people and not for others. Sometimes my "hurts" run together and I don't know if the recent fibro flare has caused my back pain to intensify or if it's just hurting anyway. I still have had the chest pain that I got when the whole fibro stuff started up on me. My doc gave me a steroid pack that helped for a couple of weeks, but as it wore off, the pain just came right back. It seems that the chest pain goes right into my shoulder blades too so I alternate the heating pad from front to back to try to gain a bit of relief. I haven't found ANYTHING to take to help. We have had decent weather here, so far, for the winter. I would hate to see how bad it would get if we had a bad winter. I don't know how others with fibro and other chronic pains can live in cold climates. I say we all move somewhere warm that we can sun on the beach while we are served margaritas by the gallon! AHHH if only!
  • march is coming soon!!!! yippeeee.
    angie not sure about the UK. but you can ask wouldn't hurt.
    i am in a horrible flare right now. its 10 out but feels like 3. i cannot even touch my arm to scratch it. iv been on and off sleep sine 9pm. just got up at 12:15 took another soma, valium and last treasured valued percocet. it eased a tiny bit but not enough to be comfortable.

so i PRAY SO VERY HARD that this will be a medication that helps someone even if its a few.
    but it really stinks when one dr does all the testing says you have it and the next says things dont add up .
    all i know is im sick of it.

i of course have several things going on sooooooo it could be anything at all and thats one of my issues.
    i should be labled chronic pain patient with all my surgeries and procedures i have had to endure.
    gheesh i should be a walking pharmacy right now. but due to things i do not want to get into that is not the case.

so myself, and my family has to suffer...
    someday over the rainbow right?? i sure hope so!!
  • Hiya Gentle Gentle >:D< >:D< , sorry your in so much pain, but i can relate to it. I would be prepared to try any drug as long as it made me comfortable. My meds dont help me these days, it just wont get under control.
    Wishing you well sweetie xx >:D<

Angie x