Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here, Hello

Amanda LAAmanda L Posts: 22
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in New Member Introductions
I have been reading this site for a few months now. I have been told that I need surgery. But, have been putting it off. Five years ago, I was told that this is something that I would have to live with, that alot of people have stenosis, and that they live with the pain. Well, in Sept. on 2008, when my left leg went numb, the doctor sent me for an MRI. I have a disc bulge with stenosis at L5/S1, severe narrowing of the left intervertebral foramen and mild narrowing of the right foramen. With the horrific left leg pain that is never ending. I done the therapy, I did the injections. Neither helped. Through all this I am still working. Some days I just want to curl in a ball and cry. I have 4 sons, 3 are teenagers, the youngest is 8. I just hope that there is an end to this. I am worried about nerve damage, the emg came out good, but I don't know how much more I can take.
The post that I have read here do help. I just never thought that I would be posting something, but when the depressin sits in, these post are very helpful.
Thank you all for posting these have really helped me
Amanda L.

• hi and welcome to the forum! =D> we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. have you tried a nerve pain medication like Lyrica for your leg? :? it has helped my leg pain more than anything, ever!!! we are happy you have decided to stop by and post. it is a great way to get to know you a little bit. there are other conservative treatments available as well. please speak to your doctor if you are interested in the medication for your leg pain!! good luck and keep us posted as you progress. Jenny :)
  • I am sorry to hear of your ongoing pain. You have come to the right place for understanding and support. Have you tried any of the nerve pain meds that are available. Surgery really should be left as a very last result as it holds no guarantees of relief. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • Welcome Amanda :H

Chronic pain is a presciption for depression,or at the very least some pretty down days.I feel comfortable enough to say that every single person here understands that,so you are at 'home' here.

The only thing that has made it slightly easier with me is that I've had a long time to learn how to deal with all of the changes.This neck pain is relatively new,but pain is no stranger to me.

Four boys...wow! I have two,but mine are grown (22 & 25).

What type of injections have you had? I've had ESI's,which were unsuccessful.Today I am getting the TPI's.I hope it helps.At least this won't be directly into my neck,and only into the muscles surrounding the painful areas.

We're here!
  • I had the operation, 1/29/09, It was going to be a 360, but once the doc started he seen that my L5 was factured in 2 places. So that changed what he had to do. Still not sure myself what was done. I now have 4 screws, 2 rods, and a bone graph, and a bolt that goes thur the S1 to the L5.I was in surgry for 10 hours. The pain in my leg is gone, still have some numbness in my left foot. I am moving around alot more, still not back to work yet. I go for a check up on 3/16/09 I think he may let me start PT then.

I am only taking muscle relaxers now. The pain in my back is so much better. But can anyone tell me if you ever get used to the hardware? If and when the bone graph takes will the hardware still bother me? It don't hurt, but feels like a weight on my low back. Is this normal?

I have learned alot reading these post. Just wish that so many people didn't have to suffer.

Good luck to all
    Amanda L