Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Three months post op and feeling great

DaveNHDDaveNH Posts: 58
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Good News
Yes, Thought it would never come but I can said that today.
Did the PT thing for about 8 weeks, three times a week, lots of walking, resting, eating well, positive thinking and the all important prayers.

I can do everything I used to, just have to do it slower, use little for-thought and not over do it. The realization of age finally set in and now I KNOW that I'm NOT that 25 year old superman I used to be. I'm 52 and I'll behave like a 52. I've actually hired ppl to do some tasks around the homestead that I would have normally done. Just not taking that chance again.

I went back to work and I think that helped a lot also, both physically and mentally. The pain killers really messed me up as I developed a allergic reaction to it as well as having to deal with the physical dependancy. I was on it for 4 months and glad to be off that stuff. (My advice/opinion on pain meds is to stay with the short fast acting one and stay clear of the ER meds. They will mess up you.)
Thanks to all who have helped me in my recovery and for your prayers.

• That's great news. I'm happy for you. Did you have to wear a brace or support belt afterwards? As for ER meds, I've been on them for 11 months now and Dr. told me there is more chance of addiction with short acting meds. But I can understand what you mean also. Keep up the good work and don't overdo anything! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • No, I did not have to wear a brace or anything like that. I do wear one of those Home Depot Velcro back supports for work. It doesn’t stop me from doing stupid things but it gives me a reminder on the bending and twisting. That was the killer for me. I did not realize just how much bending twisting I did during the day. Bending with a twist was what put me down in the first place.

Stay well
  • I know where your coming from. I am now 4mths post op for L4/5 discectomy. Keep up the exercises, walking and change the way you tackle lifting etc.
    I find I am getting stronger with each mth, but don't progress as much when I back off the physio exercises etc.

John R