Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lower back issues again....

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Lower Back Pain
March 07 2008 is when I had my L5-S1 Discectomy, Laminectomy, Fa****tomy. All went well. Here it is 10 months past and today I was pushing a grocery cart (didn't left anything, my wife handled all that) and just as we got to the car a shot of pain down my left leg. I instantly had to take the weight off my leg and I could put any weight on it for about 20 minutes or so. I can now limp on it but can't put my full weight on it.

I haven't really lifted anything heavier than the doctor order. If it bulged or herniated again, can they do the discectomy again or will they have to do a fusion?

I'm becoming very, very, very disappointed with the fact that my back doesn't seem to want to heal or at least hit a plateau.

It's going to be the death of me. The restrictions are far to great, they stop me from doing all the things I love to do. Family, play sports, exercise, etc...

I'm becoming depressed big time.

Thanks for letting me vent.

• It's been a few days now and the pain is becoming more consistant. Hasn't really gone down my leg much but it is definitely NOT just a muscle issue.
  • I am so sorry that I did not see your post sooner. In answer to your question, yes normally a discectomy can be done again if the disc ruptures again. I am not a doc but have had a microdiscectomy myself so have done some research. I had my discectomy in Dec 07 and in July 08 I went to my doc in tears and awful pain. I just knew that my disc had herniated. My doc reminded me that if the pain does not go all the way down your leg (I had it to my knee) it is not a disc. I have issues with my facet joints and things like pushing a cart (or pushing anything) will cause me a great deal of pain. Some times when you have discectomy part of your facet joint is removed and I have seen lots of folks (including myself) with facet pain after discectomy. If you are really concerned definitely give your doc a call. It has been more than 1 year now and I still have some major flare ups. When I do I have no choice but to wait it out. It may be best for you to call your doc to be sure. Please keep us posted.
  • Thanks!

Apparently it was just a flare up. The MRI showed the disc is fine and no scar tissue. Doc said I do have DDD in multiple discs in my lumbar and my neck.
  • I had the same disc rupture within one year of my discectomy. I did fine after my first surgery. After the second one, I hate to say, it's been downhill ever since! That's my experience, I hope and pray your situation will be different. Best of luck to you, Terri Dawn
This discussion has been closed.