Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

jenfabjjenfab Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 2 days post op. When I get up from a sitting or laying position it feels like there is a ton of weight on my lower back right at the incision? Very hard to get up & sore! Also, for anyone who had numbness in their feet before surgery...does the feeling ever come back?

Thanks so much and best of luck to all pre & post-op's.

• I had my second microdiscectomy on Fri, the 16th. My first one was Feb 1st of 08. Both times the recovery was not bad at all. Pain and soreness near the incision site, but thats all. I need to be very careful with the way I move around and take it easy. The numbness takes a while to go away, like weeks and weeks, but the leg and back pain goes away almost immediately. I had a great recovery the first time, but then just had a major reherniation in dec. not sure exactly what I did, but I do way too much sometimes. I only had guided injections. I was not able to function without major pain meds, they didn't even make me loopy. Anyway, thats my story. Hope you get better soon, just take it easy and dont do too much to soon. Also, make sure you dont sit.
  • By the way, I am 38 also, 4 kids 17, 15 1/2, 13, and 12. Married 19 years this Aug. :)
  • Thanks for sharing. Do you remember having that heavy feeling and having a hard time standing from a sitting position? I just also had my surgery last fri! Best of luck to you on your recovery too.
  • yes, I totally remember that, plus I am feeling it right now, so I don't need memory!! ahha. Just take it easy, no need to rush anything! Take care!
  • What were your pre-surgery symptoms? What level was your discetomy? Mine was at the L5 S1 level. He didnt want to do a fusion because I also have a herniation at L4 and did not want to put me through a double level fusion at my age. If this MicroD doesnt take...then that may be m fate. But I am not going to think like that. Positive thoughts here ;))
    What pain meds are you on?
  • pre-surgery I had horrible back and leg pain. It progressed to where on Christmas Eve, I literally could not walk. I had to crawl to the bath room and was in agony getting back to my bed with help from my husband. Doctors were all out for the holidays so I had to lay on my left side for 6 days before I went and got some epidural steroid injections and nerve root blocks. I took pain meds, my norco 10/325 every four hours, but it didnt last that long, so I filled in the gap with ultram. I thought about going to the er but all they would do was give me pain meds anyway,,,,My herniation is at L4L5. I have a bulge above it and my L5/S1 is completely dehydrated. I am a pretty healthy and active person, this is driving me crazy. Now, I have the norco and I might take one here or there for the incision pain, but I think advil or tylenol would work just as well. What about you?
  • I sent you a private message...go check it if you know how. It was my first time sending one , so hope it worked! I am pretty new to Spine-Heath. lol

Wow, Your story sounds almost idential to mine. I am on Norco 10/325's too and also 100mcg's of the fentanyl patch. I was told not to take anything containing ibuprohin (advil) After surgery whatsoever! Forgot why, but do remember them stressing that to me.
    I also wanted to go to the ER in the last couple weeks, but like you I knew they would only give me more meds and they were not working anyway!! I also went WAY downhill right at Xmas time. I had to stay home while my hubby went to visit family. I didnt want him to miss out, so i was glad he went, but was alone and in pain. The pain progressed on a daily basis to where I could not walk at all either. My left leg was very weak, it arophied, and it felt like my sciatic nerve was on the outside of my body being lit on fire all the way down to my foot. Which is now still numb and tingling. I cant describe the pain level except to say that it was at a level 10+++ and comparable to childbirth pain...(couldnt talk through pain) I would have these awful spikes in pain that would set me screaming bloody murder. SOglad that is over and am just having incision pain (heavy feeling) and occassional leg/foot pain...left foot numbness.
    Cant wait to get better...cuz like you I like to be active ttoo. Miss walking my doggies.
    Keep in touch and check your private messages.....jen
  • I sent my whole response to you in a pm. Let me know if you got it. thanks
  • Replied to you in Pm then will email u later k?