Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Overdoing it?!

backman38bbackman38 Posts: 37
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone!

I hope no one is overdoing it? What does this mean? If you do, what should you do?

Here's my story. I had microdiskectomy laminectomy on Sept 30. Seven weeks out all things were good, then I missed a step off a curb and jolted my spine. it took over a week to see the ns and almost didn't get back to work before getting the ax. The mri showed no reherniation, but leg and back pain were pretty bad. Then I got better wnet back to work.

Part 2: Thursday, feeling great, I plowed my driveway with a push shovel, went to work. I came home and my back started to burn, followed by sciatic leg burning. Is this just overdoing it or something worse?

• I have no idea if overdoing it is your problem, only your doc can say. However, shoveling snow is one of the hardest things on a spine and sends more people to the doc for low back pain than just about anything else.

My surgeon told me years ago, that I will always have "flares". A person who has had back surgery will have flares for the rest of their life. He said that it's all about prevention and treatment when they occur. Keep the core strong and flexible to avoid them, and rest when they happen. I took his words to heart and have had very few since.

• The hardest thing for me is not knowing if I've re-ruptured my disc or not. My leg pain has been severe for several months now after doing great for 4 months after surgery. MRI and ct/myelo show no reherniation. How confusing. If nothing shows on the x-rays, then what are we doing wrong? Who knows if we're overdoing it or not. Doctors and therapists always seem stumped when asking. Seems odd that a nerve would all the sudden go crazy and not get better with rest if there's no disc herniation. At least this is my situation. All bending and walking activities cause leg pain for me. Especially shoveling. I've hired a snow plow company for the season because of how hard it is on my back. I used to love to shovel. But now, even with proper lifting techniques, my leg pain worsens.

I guess all we can do is do our exercises that are best for our back and continue on. Maybe in time, the pain will lessen.

• Nerves can just "wig out" on their own one day and never have an explanation for it.