Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain management

kimmeamkkimmeam Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
This morning I have my first appt. with P/M Dr. I am hoping & praying for some answers. My surgeon dismissed me over a month ago told me that he has no idea why I am in so much pain, as he "fixed" my neck. Didn't want to see me again & sends me to P/M.

I am finding it very hard to sleep. I am a side sleeper. I can not sleep on my side as the pain on the sides of my neck & into myshoulders & my arms & fingers tingling. I can't lay on my back for the arms & fingers tingling so bad until it hurts. I am not sure how much longer I can put up with working either. It's hard to put on that happy public face when your in pain.

I am still taking all of my meds. I can sure tell if I take one an hour behind schedule. My ACDF c5/6 was on 08/08/08. I was assured by my surgeon that I would be better. Since then I have only gotten worse & he doesn't know why. I had xrays at 2 months & he said that I was "fully fused". I had another MRI he says looks good.

I am looking forward to this appointment so. I just want some answers. Will I get better?

Wish me luck!

Kim >:D<

• Kim...hopefully the pm doctor will do the right test to find out what is causing the problems. Do you have hardware in your neck? If so an mri that your surgeon done would not be a clear picture. You also probably need an emg/ncv test done. My surgeon has not dismissed me as of yet, my last surgery was 02/07 and my last vistit with him was this past October and he still wants to see me again in April of this year. He has told me I will always have pain, I am grateful that he is honest with me. He sent me for a myelogram after the last visit and I do have a disc bulge above my fusion. I hope the pm doctor works out for you and you get the help you need.

• My appointment went well, I guess. The Dr. was very nice & compasionate to my pain. He wants to do an epidural injection. They will get the authorization from the insurance & call me to schedule. He is not 100% confident that this will help. It's worth a try & maybe get off of some of the meds that I am on. He did refill my meds for 1 month.
    He is concerned that it is the 3/4 disc that is causing the problems. He said that it is pressing into my spine. If the shot does not help then we will have to discuss another surgery.
    I need this shot to work! I will not go through another surgery. I know nothing about epidurals except when I had babies. I think there is a "shot" board I will have to visit.
    For now, I just keep on as I have been I guess.
  • Hi

I have had 4 or 5 of these. I think they may have helped me to an extent, but was not a cure. I still required my pain meds after each injection.
  • your new doctor was nice and compassionate. Yes, do visit the Spinal Injections board. I had 4 ESI's a few years back, and only the first one helped for just a few days. Some people get months of relief.

Good luck!

• I had epidurals for the sciatica and it helped my leg pain by 60-70% snd it helped the tingling. Heating pad also helps. I'm also taking lyrica and amitriptylline for the sciatica. I would encourage you to find another Neurologist or Ortho. Good luck with the epi! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I really hope they work for you. My pain doctor said they are suppose to last about a month. Mine lasted two days at the most. He will not give me any more shots. But I know people who the shots worked well for them. I hope it does for you to. What I have learned is if you have hardware in your neck it puts alot of stress on the good disk below it. So after time, they start to buldge. I was fused 3-5 in '97 and had to be fused 6-7 in '03. It seems like after all we have been through, the pain would ease up. But dont know why it gets worse over time. After my second surgery, when I woke up I could not bend my first two fingers on my right hand. Can you believe my doctor (after one year) keeps telling me I must have jammed it or something!!!!! ~X( I got another doctor who ran a nerve test (EEG, I think it is) and thats when I found out it was nerver damage at the c7. Here it is 6 years later and still cant bend them. It's nice to talk to people who know what your talking about. Thanks to all of you for your post. I dont feel alone here. God bless you all. Have a great day.
  • I will definately see a new surgeon. My surgeon has left the state. This P/M Dr. said that he will refer me to another surgeon. I got the feeling that I was not the only one in that room that was not happy with my surgeon.
    Work was never mentioned if I could or could not. He never gave me restrictions of any kind. Just to rest when I felt I needed to. I had to visit these boards to get advice for my recovery. To say the least I am "P.O'd". I truly believe that he looked at me as a money maker. Oh how I regret this surgery. I forgot to ask if he saw fusion. I'll have to remember that next visit. I just see 2 big black empty spaces when I look at it.
    I can't belive your Dr. said that about your fingers,rfkerry. Sounds like something mine would have said.
    I do look forward to the shot but am a bit nervous. I'll let you know when & what it does for me.
    I thank you all!
    Kim >:D<