Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Fusions and Cold Weather

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a 2 level ALIF last March. After the 4 month mark I was doing much better with energy returning etc. I had almost forgotten I had it done my pain was gone and I was doing great.

In mid December we had a bitter cold snap and I have not been right since. I have lumbar pain again and often get the old horrible ache in my legs. It worries me but it seems to correspond with the weather. My level directly above looked perfect, no degeneration at all, when I had surgery. I can't imagine it is stressed already. I know that this can happen as time goes on but it was healthy so I don't think this is the problem.

I am having cervical issues as well. Slight bulges and am in PT. Between both areas I feel like my entire spine is a huge painful mess.

Does anyone else have these problems related to weather? Any experience appreciated! Thanks!

• you discussed these changes with your doctor? If not , then I would suggest that you do so...better safe than sorry. Now , as far as cold weather goes , well , I live in the Southeast on the coast , we usually get to wear shorts and tank tops on Christmas Day but every so often we will get cold fronts come through and I do notice a difference in how I feel....also when it rains I notice a difference in my pain levels as well. This has been a topic of discussion , I don't know how many times on SH and there are a lot of people that are affected by the weather...not sure why either. Anyway , check with your doc if you haven't already and please keep us posted as to how you are doing...take care....Miki
  • The weather REALLY messes with my back, and actually, all my joints! It seems that I feel the stiffness of the hardware really bad when it's cold and damp. Cold, damp weather is notoriously painful for those who have arthritis-which is basically what all of us have that have any facet joint disease/DJD. The barometric pressure is to blame as well as just the cold itself. I live in a hot bath as much as I'm able, and I've heard that electric blankets, or better yet, electric mattress pads are wonderful. Times like this I really wish there was a way to get insurance to pay for, or at least off-set, the cost of a hot tub! I'm tired of burning myself with the heating pad! I also use about 1/2 a tab of my muscle relaxant. It seems to help relax at least the muscles around the hardware... in turn relaxing the stiffness in my bones/hardware (even if it's psychological?). Best of luck!
  • I live in Wisconsin so cold is no stranger to me. We recently had a bitter cold week and I felt stiff and achy but as the weather has turned warmer I feel better. If I felt that my uncomfortable issues were serious I would call my doctor. Miki, shorts at Christmas, I feel so happy for you!
    I miss Ben also, cannot delete him from my buddy list.
  • Pika said:
    I live in Wisconsin so cold is no stranger to me. We recently had a bitter cold week and I felt stiff and achy but as the weather has turned warmer I feel better. If I felt that my uncomfortable issues were serious I would call my doctor. Miki, shorts at Christmas, I feel so happy for you!
    I miss Ben also, cannot delete him from my buddy list.
    shorts at Christmas , that is usually how it is around here....I love living here , lol...

I miss Ben so terribly much but his account isn't going anywhere...he was such an integral part of SH and therefore his account and all of his buddies are going to stay right where they are.....thank you and take care...Miki
  • Cold weather doesn't make for a happy body post-fusion. I'm the best meteorologist in the midwest.....My back lets me know whenever a front is moving through........

Hang in there...
  • Yes, weather now will affect us tremendously, esp, as Alcb said, if we had, or still have, facet problems & arthritis, etc. Saw my NS last Wed & he confirmed that barometric pressue causes discomfort in whole fusion area, above, below, into the surrounding joints, muscles etc & esp in the hardware itself, as it reacts to the highs/lows differently than our normal body tissues, etc. Which react badly anyway now, as we knoW

He said we are like "walking barometers" and suggested my hubby check w/ me 1st b4 watching the Weather Channel for any weather-related changes.

Cold weather is bad, but we live on Lake Michigan, so the dampness is also a big factor....dampy, rainy/snowy w/ a wind is just the worst---& what we've had this winter it seems since October! Ironically, I get better relief from ice packs than from heat....go figure!

My 1st year now w/ hardware in there & man oh man....! I think we need to move to Arizona...

I hear you all! Owwww! 5kids, it's NOT in your head! It's a real fact! Ugh!

• Cold weather, rainy or overcast days bring on discomfort for me! I feel my hardware more and my entire back area is just generally achy - sort of a deep ache that only heat relieves. I feel like I have had my Microwave "Bed Buddy" on my back more time than not the past few days!
  • I live in Denver,and had a 2 level PLIF in Frb"08 and when we had a snap of below zero weather IN December, I was bedirdden for a day! The cold sets off all sorts of apin in me and I am praying that my company will soon transfer me to a warmer spot. I have requested Phoenix, San Diego or Honolulu and I'm hoping for Honolulu:)

Any way =hope you feel better soon!
  • Yes and YES! Although I love the cold, the frost, the snow on the ground and even the occcasional ice storm I simply can't play in them anymore. I have to enjoy the beauty from my couch, with a heated rice bag on my neck, firmly wrapped in a heavy blanket.

Sigh.....is there nothing that this hell called spine pain will ever leave alone?

• That was it feels like, the cold does a number on me and I feel the instrumentation in my back. Weather changes like rain just sets things off for me. I do have arthritis in my spine and other joints and everything starts hurting. I guess it's one more thing we all have to deal with.