Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sterioid Injections

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I had pretty bad sciatica last year, did the steroid injections, physical therapy, and eventually it kind of went away by itself after about 8 months.

I've had a couple flare ups since then, the one I am experiencing now is the worst.

Is it worth getting another round of injections, or should I consider surgery if it doesn't resolve itself?

I have two herniated discs, one worse than the other.

• Hi wischmid, welcome to Spine Health!

Friday, I just got a repeat steroid injection, L5-S1. My previous injection lasted 8 months and for the most part had my sciatica under control. It abruptly quit at the beginning of the year. Ugh. I'm still waiting on the steroid to kick in. I am working through a pain management doc who told me I've exhausted the things he can do and my next step is neurosurgeon. Are you seeing a pain management doc? I would suggest talking to your doctor (or pain management doc) and ask these very same questions.

I also have back pain that the injections don't touch so I am seriously looking at more invasive procedures to help with that.
  • Hi Wishmid,

I just had my first injection last Monday. I've been suffering about 4 months now and really hoping the injection would do some good -- instead it got worst at the end of the week and I spent my weekend in bed on drugs trying to get the pain under control. I'm still hopeful subsequent injections will help -- I'm about to lose my job (which I love) because I can't cope with the pain. I would have back surgery (L5 herniated disk)if I knew that the disk was causing this awful pain in my left leg (I have no back pain to date) I've done massage therapy, chiropractic, ice, heat, stretching exercises -- some weeks are better than others -- you're not alone in your misery -- I have to keep myself from ordering all the things on the internet that promise to get you out of pain (LOL) - maybe, hypnosis is next! Thank goodness for this website!
  • I think if you could get by with more injections would be good. Although you should make sure you have a EMG to make sure there is no damage to the nerves. Also need to ask your Ortho or Neuro Dr. if there's a chance you can have nerve damage by waiting for surgery. Maybe there's a chance that the herniated discs would get better on their own. Since we're not Drs we can't make any diagnosis or make the decision for you. A second opinion Surgeon may help also. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had 2 steroid injections last month and they each lasted ONE day.
    I am going for a nerve root block on Thursday. I have a serious bulge between L5 & S1 with nerve impigement (sp?) and it shoots all the way down the leg, with the butt cheek and back of my thigh being the worst! I can't even walk right.
  • I have had over a dozen over the years and each time they gave me tremedous relief! The do wear off after a few months. But those times of being pain-free were wonderful!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message
    Please never rush into surgery. Without know much more than you have two herniated discs, its impossible to even begin to provide some informal advice. I assume you are still under a doctor's care, if so, discuss this with them.
    Any conservative treatment is far better than going in for surgery, IF the other treatments can help resolve your problem. ESI's (Epidural Spinal Injections) can be very helpful. Look at Spine-Health details and videos on this
    Spinal Injections
    But there are still more conservative treatments. Even though ESI's are still considered conservative, they do involve surgical like procedures and the results are not always the same.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com