Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi -- New to the Site.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi - I just joined this site. It looks terrific.

I am 42 years old and had an L5/S1 herniated disc back in 2003 and was able to get through it with a good chiropractor and an excellent Yoga for back pain program. Around a month ago it came back. I had an MRI and it showed a large focal disc herniation at L5/S1 and mild disc degenerative disease. There was no signs of stenosis or neuroforaminal narrowing.

I just had my first epidural steroid injection. The pain in my left leg, got so intense, I wasn't even able to walk into the hospital but was able to walk out after that. I was told it can take several days to work and most likely I will need more. I am going for a second this Friday which is 7 days after my first.

This am (3 days after the first injection) I woke up with severe pain again (radiating down my left leg - I have also lost some feeling in my foot). I started getting really nervous but was able to overcome it with the help of a strong pain killer. I am trying my hardest not to take them but there are times I feel like I don't have an alternative.

My question is -- in general, how effective are the epidural steroid shots and what is the process after them to fully recover? I am going to do whatever it takes to rid myself of this but was looking for some feedback from others that have been through it and what recommendations are out there for me.

Thanks again --

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sure others will drop by with some good information to share. =D> please make yourself at home and have a good look around. check out the top of the forum under "Treatments" and you will get a good medical view of injections. :? good luck as you seek pain relief. Jenny :)
  • I only got very temporary relief from the epi injections but they were a good diagnostic tool that led to rhizotomy's which work well and are much longer lasting. Are you seeing a PM doc? There are other options out there if the more conservative treatments fail but it is always best to try the most conservative first. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • I've had the series of 3 epidurals. After the 2nd I felt more relief from the tingling and numbness and pain. About 60-70% relief. I'm also on lyrica and amitriptyline for the nerve pain. So the last epi was Dec. 6 and I still have the same relief. Although I'm also on a narcotic because of the leg and foot pain but mostly my back is sore. I've also had facet joint injections at L 5 level. It took about 8 days to 2 weeks to be most effective. Good luck with your epis! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thanks so much for responding to my post --
    Be Well,
  • Hi and thanks for your comments.
    I am seeing a PM now. Had my first injection a week ago and i am going back for another tomorrow. The pain is definitely still there. It is worse in the evenings. If the shots do wing up working for me, do you know what the next step is? Physical therapy? --

Thanks -- John