Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Physio says that fusion leads to ARTHRITIS!! Is this true?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 4 weeks post ACDF c5/c6 and at my visit to the Physio she warned me that i am sure to get arthritis in around 5 years due to the stress on other levels! I was quite shocked to say the least as i am only 29 and was hoping that this surgery would fix me for good!

Is it a given after this surgery to get arthritis? She was quite bleak about it all but i would like to know if anyone has told u the same as my surgeon mentioned nothing about this!

Also would excercise stress the joints even more - im worried that the extent of my activities has to be limited for a lifetime in order to prevent future disc issues and arthritis...

Would love if you could share your views!

• I have advance arthritis now (of 70yr old) and I am only 38. My NS wants me to wait to do the surgery that is causing my others problems because the arthritis will move down into my hips. Most of my spine is already fused because of scoliosis in 1983. He said the surgery will last about 10 good years which would put me at 48, which is still young and then my arthrisis when be what it is now plus my hips. We are trying different things to relieve some of my pain so I can wait 10 years to even think about the surgery.
  • Hi! :H i developed post operative arthritis after my first surgery. ~X( my doctor said this is a common occurrence and another reason to consider other options beside surgery. i now have arthritis around my spine, hips and of course my back!! ~X( Jenny :)
  • This is the first that I heard of this. You mean to tell me that a fusion can cause arthritis??
    I need to call the Dr office and ask. I was never told anything about that. My surgeon told me that once I am fused that that is it. I am done. I will have only NORMAL back pains.
    I am close to 9 months out and just this last weekend I am now getting pains on the left side of my back and my left leg. The same pain that I had on the right side before the fusion. I am nervous that my left side may be messed up now but with this talk of arthritis maybe there is something else going on. I can only speculate. I plan to make and appt for this week to see if I have a new problem now.
    If this can cause arthritis then it would have been nice for them to let me, someone who knows nothing about this stuff and needs to be talked to in layman terms, know about it.
  • I wish my surgeon had told me too! It's fixed one problem buy looks like it's going to create a list of others! This concerns me and makes me angry that they use fusing on the first plac because if there was no fusing there would be no stress on other levels and the spine can move freely like it was designed too! Grrrr.......