Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF C5,6 &7 Now need C7 T1 fusion & nerve rt. decompression

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 44 I had acdf c5-7 almost 2 yrs ago due to a work related injury. Due to ongoing severe pain I had an MRI done in June 08 showing an adjacent disc herniation central C7- T1 with nerve root involvement at C8. Workers comp says due to a fall I had in 12/07 they are not liable. I had a CT scan in 2/08 showed no disc herniation had an MRI done in 4/08 showed no herniation. I am having severe symptoms in my hand neck & shoulder pain.I also have severe nerve root avulosion or degneration on C 7. I also went through & am still going through a swallowing issue that happened as soon as I awoke from ACDF.This ended up becoming a serious complication due to dehydration, wt loss, aspiration. The neurosurgeon sent me to an ENT who after about 5 visits said GERD, yet never had it before. I had 2 GI consults with scopes no Gerd. Finally another ENT saw me in the ER did some testing sent me to NYC high tech ENT did testing showed they partialy paralized my esophageal nerve in my throat. There is no cure, I needed a tube inserted in my abd to feed myself. After 8 months of that hell I made them take it out. I can drink liquid protein ,I have had some 2 cases of aspiration. I do not want another surgery I am scared, although I was very healthy an Er trauma nurse until this whole mess for 22yrs. & have 4 teenagers I do not do well with any type of surgery. Any suggestions?

• I'm so sorry about what's happened to you. I wish that I had suggestions to offer other than to keep fighting the battle and don't give up looking for answers. There is so much new technology and treatments (as you well know) coming along all the time and your's may be just around the corner.

The paralyzation in the esophogus is one of the absolute worse case scenarios for the ACDF procedure. We all get warned about it yet think it can never happen. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I really hope that you can find some help here on the boards.

Hang in there,