Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WARNING
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval
ATTENTION: All NEW MEMBERS
1) Your first discussion or comment needs to go through a moderator's approval process before it can be published.
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

Numbness in Tongue: from Pressure on Spine or Post-Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 51,489
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My tongue sometimes feels numb/strange when the pain/numbness flares up due to 5 weeks post surgery (removal of 2 discs in neck and implant of two bones) and/or symptoms of myelopathy. My surgeon rolls his eyes when I mention my tongue! However, prior to the surgery, my tongue elt strange or numb most of time, which increased with the flare up of my other spine-related symptoms. Post-surgery it feels relatively normal (what is normal now, anyway?!!) and only bothers me with the really terrible flare-ups.
advertisement

Comments

• :jawdrop: I'm 41 and suffer from a condition where my right hand and tongue go numb and I also forget things and names etc. I get a strange gassy taste in my mouth during the attack which lasts for about 10 to 15 minutes. It is also followed by a severe headache which lasts for approx. 2 to 3 days after the attack. These attacks started when I was in high school and each one differ from the previous with regard to the symptoms ( sometimes the strange taste in my mouth is not present and other times I go blind in the right eye ). I had two neck op's but my condition just got worse after each operation due to spasma attacks in my neck and higher up towards my head. What am I suffering from and can anyone please give me advice as to how to cope with this? Thanks.
  • I wish u the best of luck in finding out what is causing this. Before reading the post, I was wondering if there was a possibility of it being a side affect to a medication you are taking. Now, I am befuddled. I know it crossed my mind that if you spoke to (only spoke to) a chitopractor, they might be able to tell you what nerve and where it is located, that controls the tongue. At least it would be a start. I do wish your surgeon would take you seriously. Perhaps, if you did a bit of research yourself, you might know the proper questions to ask your doctor. Best of Luck in your endevor to find a cure and cause of this that is bothering you so very much.;-)
    Best Wishes, BTDT
  • i had major neck surgery and had weird sensations in tongue but it went away two months after surgery.
  • Make sure to check with a dentist as well.. The gas taste (or for me the metallic taste) was caused by old fillings and rotten nerve root. Sometimes the combination of symptoms can come from a variety of things, not just one cause.
    64Dragon
advertisement