Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Good news from Dr & answers on pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a CT scan yesterday and saw my surgeon today for my 9 month check up.
Last time I saw him 6 months it wasn't looking so good with only a little fusion showing at 3 months then it pretty well stopped between 3 & 6 months.
So of course I was apprehensive when I saw him today. I have been trying to be really positive and determined that I wouldn't need revision surgery.

Well the Dr looked at the CT and he was pretty happy and as relieved as I was. There is definitly more fusion growing and he expects that at the 12 month mark it will be complete.
He said that the BMP caused focal osteolysis (cysts) to grow in the fusion site but this has now become bone formation as he expected it would.

So I now have the go ahead to look for work - just have to work out what I can do now as previous jobs are off the list.

I also asked about the ankle and knee pain which I have been getting and he said they are mechanical and not related to the surgery.
The "burning feeling" I get in the back is nerve pain probably from scar tissue, but I can live with that.

All in all a good report- of course I would have loved to hear I was completely fused but I am well on the way.

Blessings Sara O:)

• That is so awsome that you are fusing so well. What kind of work did you used to do? Any ideas what you want to do for work?
  • I know how relieved you must be, Sara. I remember reading your post about fusing and you were really concerned. So now you are really and truly on the road to recovery! That is very encouraging. Off to work with you! Good luck on your job hunting!
  • First of all let me say I am sooo happy for you!!!

Questions though,
    Did he say that the burning feeling from scar tissue will go away soon or is it expected to stick around for a while?
    And with the ankle and knee pain, do you need to see a different doc for that??

• Congratulations Sara!

Your news is very encouraging to all of us.
  • Thanks guys, it felt relly good to put some encouraging words on here to share.
    Cyndi, I really haven't worked since I injured my back in 2001. Before that I was an EN and worked in pathology for about 15yrs taking blood, ecgs etc. Then I trained as a massage therapist and aromatherapist which was what I was doing when this all started. All these involve a lot of bending and lifting.
    I have done some study in adult education while I have been off and have taught meditation but it isn't classified as a "job".
    So I suppose I need to look for something like an office job.

• Yep, that was a pretty difficult time before I decided that i wasn't going to create that by worrying about it.
    Though I must admit when I was driving to the appointment yesterday I was more nervous then when I was going in to surgery. LOL

Sara O:)
  • The dr said there is not much he can do about the burning patch. Surgically everything is going well and eveything is in place so he said hopefully it will calm down on its own but if it is still there when I see him for the 1 yr then I am probably stuck with it.
    As I am a workers comp case he cant do anything about my knees and ankle only let my GP know so hopefully she can refer me to someone for that. He stickly can only treat me for the actual injury.
    I see a rheumatologist for Lupus and fibromyalgia so I will find out if I can get a cortisone injection in the ankle as that is the worst.
    Also now I have stopped the Oxycontin and Lyrica I should be able- NO, I will be loosing weight, and that will help too.
    Blessings to you all, Sara O:)
  • I'm sure you were excited to hear the good news

now just win one of your Australian lotteries and you won't have to worry about going back to work
  • Gosh wouldn't that be perfect! :))(
    Actually I am quite excited about going back to work, just concerned about finding the right job for me. As it is w/comp, they have a tendancy to push you into anything that they think is suitable which isn't necessarily the job I might have chosen myself.
    Ah well, we will just have to see and affirm that I find the Perfect job for me.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • <:P How wonderful, Sara!!! Girl, you have been through so much over the past few years. I truly am so thrilled at your good news!!! It is very encouraging for the rest of us to hear when something goes RIGHT for a change!! <:P
  • Thanks hun,
    Yes that is how I feel as well. It really is just a matter of giving it time and being patient.

Big hugs Sara O:)
  • That's good news about your healing stage. Do the WC have programs they pay for to get another job more suitable as a desk job? Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • That's amazing news. Such a relief!! How long have you been off the oxycontin? Did you slowly wean off or recently get off of it? I am hoping I can decrease my meds now that I have the SCS.

I have that burning nerve pain that never went away (and mine got worse.) I think being able to work again will help you stay distracted and not focus on that nerve pain. For nerve pain (where meds help very little), distraction is our greatest weapon!!

Thanks for the update!!

• Good news, Sara. I'll bet you will be fused by the 12th month. At least that what my OS said to me, and I believe him.

Good luck with the job hunt!

Wishing you the best,

• I'm so glad for you! That perfect job is out there. Just hold on to what you're heart says and don't let WC push you around. I wish you ALL the best. >:D<
  • Hi Sara, so glad to hear your good news! Isn't it such a relief. I am so happy for you. Now what kind of job are you looking for? Will WC provide any retraining? Do you like kids? Perhaps something in the school system? Or how about something medical but more in an office environment? We have admitting clerks, unit secretaries, etc in the hospital. They do a combo of sitting, standing, computer and paperwork. Hmmm, just some thoughts. How about tour guide in Oz? That would be fun! Good-luck sweetie, hope to hear from you soon. Darla
  • Charry, Yes W/C do have programs though they only will pay for retraining if they cant get me into something that doesn't need it. They wouldn't train me in a field I wanted if we could find something suitable without.
    I would love to do Travel agency but dont know if that is appropriate. So many jobs look good but we dont realise what they entail until we really investigate them.

Cherish - the oxycontin I have been taking for a while and slowly reducing it. I started at 20 x 2SR and was down to 1x 5mg Slow release then decided enough was enough. Yes there is a bit more pain but it is managable and I can still have 2 x 5mg endone if I need it.

Thanks Kin - Yes 12 months is the mark (or sooner ) :))(

Tonya, Yes I will really have to stand my ground with W/C but it does become very tiresome. Once you have the OK to work they try to shove you into "voluntary" positions for "experience" hoping the company will hire you.
    I will stay firm though as I know the universe will provide me with the perfect job.

Cali-Sue, I love kids and hadn't thought about school things. Worth thinking about. I had thought about day care work but dont know how much picking up of kids would be involved. I had thought about the ward clerk thing or something medical as that is what I am so familiar with.
    I also see my GP tomorrow and we will talk about how many hrs to start with so that will make a difference as well.
    I am a really good organiser and would love to do something with that skill but I suspect it would have to be full time.

Anyway I'll stop blabbering
    Blessings to you all
    Sara O:)
  • I was thrilled to read that your fusion is coming along so nicely! I can only imagine how relieved and elated you must be.

Keep us all posted on your adventure of finding a new career. That is both a challenging and exciting journey to be embarking on!

• The exercise is really good. I love going to the gym as I feel I am doing something positive to help myself. I cant say all the exercises are easy but that is the point of it isn't it.
    Also I can get on the treadmill and walk a lot better then on the uneven paths. Oh and best of all it is air conditioned and we are having a heatwave here. :))(
    Blessings Sara
  • So glad to hear positive outcomes. You've been so good to help encourage others and share your experiences, so the good news is well deserved. Take care and good luck job hunting. Keep us posted.