Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Refugee from Cervical Forum - Do I need to change jobs?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Pain Management
Hello Fellow Sufferer's

Finally after mcuh wrangling got a very short MRi report

Abridge version reads : There is narrowing of C5/6 and C6/7 disc spaces with posterior osteodiscal bars whcih indent the theca anteriorly, but do not compress the cord...No root lesion is seen.

Still have neck, shoulder, arm, and blinding headaches if I sit here for longer than about 30 minutes. My job requires me to sit for 8 hours a day peering at a PC screen

My guess is, I shall have to move to a pain clinic, and maybe search for a new job.

Anyone else have their neck irritated by PC gazing? And, should I put up and shut up, or move on??

Thanks guys, you really are a source of support as ever.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    Hi scully46, first of all, it was so difficult for me to read into your post since I just kept staring into your avatar.
    The sailboat, the water, oh, I was in heaven!

Ok, back to your post. In my job I spend from 8-12 hours a day with my PC's. Just read my story information to know the surgeries that I have had. I love my job, I love working with the PC's, yet I know it is one of the major contributors to my pain and discomfort.
    I have 7 computers in my house.4 Laptops and 3 desktops. 1 is for my formal job. Each one of them is setup to be in the best position for anyone.
    But the MOST IMPORTANT,repeat MOST IMPORTANT thing to keep in mind... NO matter how you set up your workstation, you Need to get up at least every 45 minutes, get away from your workstation, stretch, walk, etc for at least 10 minutes before returning
    That will help you throughout the day working with a computers. It will NOT stop problems, but it should minimized them. There have been times when, I've gone past the time frame and I suffer (Being a programmer, sometimes, the time just slips away) I will have intense stabbing and burning at the base of my neck and across my shoulder blades and down to the middle of my back. Then because of that, my body gets out of alignment and things start to head south real fast. So what I need to do is prevent that slide from happening.

My first surgery was in 1978, I am still working with computers. Granted the early days the PC wasnt born so, computer work was different. But the birth of the PC made a world of difference in business and home... It also created a new monster.

You can continue working with the PC with spinal problems.
    BUT before you do, make sure you discuss this with your doctor and get their approval.

Spine-Health has a nice section to read about this. In the Spine-Health main tabs under Wellness take a look at
    Ergonomics - Articles and Videos

Good luck
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Hello Ron,

Thank you so much for your posting. Yes I love sailing, and, right now, I should have been in Mindelo, Cape Verde, to help 2 buddies of mine, sail over the big pond to Barbados, I love Barbados, and that is where the picture was taken, whilst waiting for Customs, on the last trip with some other friends. I'm a bit of a navigator, and have my OceanMaster ticket. As I warned my friends when I had to bow out of this trip. "Barbados is very small, and the Atlantic is very big..........the chances of you bumping into it are very slight". But, they had to push on, with very reams of written instructions from me.........Mostly they read "Sail West!. lol, They set off yesterday, and I am tracking them...........so far so good!

I have read your story, it was how I found this site in fact.

And thank you for the advice and redirection. I shall discuss it all wi the family doc for sure.

It's a brilliant site, that I found quite by accident. I applaud you all for making the resource available. And, if I ever pass your way on a yacht.............I'll give you a lift !