Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 months post op ACDF Levels C 5-6 6-7

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I was rear ended 14 months ago and the nightmare began....
Had an MRI was diagnosed with (2) herniated discs @ levels C 5-6 6-7 my NS sent me for my 1st CEI with no relief the NS then wanted to go to surgery but I was reluctant and he decided to try for 1 more CEI also with no relief. I did not want to have such an evasive surgery so my PM sent me for a 2nd opinion.... this NS suggested a chiropractor and also physical therapist which entailed decompression, manipulation, dry needling, a woman with hands from hell and also acupuncture. After a few grueling, and very painful months I gave in and had the surgery but not before I had to see a Neurologist for an EMG and a nerve induction. Before my surgery my symptoms were head and neck pain, numbness and tingling radiating down my left shoulder all the way to my finger tips, burning sensations between my shoulder blades which felt like hot pokers, my left arm and hand were growing weaker by the day, and would constantly have to shake my hand to keep it awake. After surgery I felt pretty good my hand and arm numbness were better and some of the pain was subsiding and I was feeling hopeful I would begin to get better.

Not so... shortly after when I went to my NS for my 2nd follow up visit the old symptoms had returned with a vengence and new ones were appearing..... along with the above mentioned symptoms now I had facial numbness, middle back pain that radiated forward into by breast bone, right neck and shoulder pain that was now radiating down the right arm into my finger tips, numbness and burning in the shoulder blades still.

I told the NS about all of this and he scheduled me for a CT scan, a myleogram, another EMG and nerve induction, and referred me to a well known pain management doctor.

When the tests came back it showed I had permanent nerve damage in the left arm, carpal tunnel syndrome in the right hand, I have to wear hand splints on both hands at night when I sleep to and keep my hands from going numb, and levels C 3-4 4-5 were bulging. The NS said they were not bulging enough at that time which was in Oct.'08 to go to surgery so that's why he sent me to pain manangement who is now doing nerve blocks which are very painful and have had no relief.. I am in excruciating pain and it gets worse every day I have an appointment with my NS Jan. 28th.

I have searched every where for symptoms of herniated discs @ levels C 3-4 4-5 but can not find any information if it would be greatly appreciated I'm just trying to understand why I am in so much pain and what body parts these discs effect.

• I can understand exactly where you are coming from because our medical stories have quite a few similarities. I felt so much better after my surgery but then my symptoms came back also and brought some friends along for the ride. Anyway , I am currently in Pain Management at the moment because I am not quite ready to undergo more surgery but that is neither here nor there...I have posted a link to an article below that talks about the different spinal nerve roots and what typs of pains can be cause when they are pinched and such....I hope that helps you. Please keep us posted as to how you are doing and if there is anything that I can help you with then please just let me know. Take care....Miki