Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Well I tried with no luck :(

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Pain Management
Well as some of you that read my post I was so thrilled to get a pain managment appt so fast which was today.
Well it did not go good.
Told him where my pain was, which is between my shoulder blades where there is a large herniation at T1 that is also calcified. Plus my lower back where I just had a revision surgery on Sept 17th.
He only does injections now he said.
He has so many patients he decided not to do meds anymore!
WHAT????? I just started in with tears and said what am I supposed to do now? I get thrown from the ortho to my primary to pain managment, and I have a 2 day supply of hydrocodone.
There are no other pain managment people in our area.
He said find another primary then.
Fine whatever I said, thanks for all your help.
So now I basically am screwed to the wall and have to deal with the sleepless nights and pain during the day.
NO one seems to want to help.

Sorry I ranted, but I wanted to let some of you know that have been concerned about me.
So now I am going to need everyone more then ever now, to get through the pain all day on my own...

Lots of love to you all

• There's got to be another PCP out there that can help you. Unless your town has deemed itself prescription-pain-med-free, there's got to be a doc that can help you. How frustrating! I'm sorry you have to go through this hassle!

I've been lucky with my surgeon so far, but I have a meeting with him today for my 3-month exam. I'm afraid he's going to stop precribing my pain meds and muscle relaxants and I'm still in so much pain that I need them ever day. I don't take the maximum dosage of either, but I depend on them nevertheless to help now that I'm back at work.

Please call around to some other docs. With everything you've been through, there's got to be a doc that understands how difficult things are and is willing to work with you while you recover.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

>:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I hope you can find someone to help. It is hard to think with pain let alone find a doctor that will help. I will be praying for you as you look for answers.
    Take care,
  • When I was seeking a new PC for my mon, who is on numerous meds including several narcotics, I made lots of phone calls to doctors offices to ensure that she wouldn't be left in limbo like you are, you poor thing! Most of them would not see her but I finally found one who would (we live in a very small community with no pain managemt options).

Don't be afraid to call and be straightforward about your medication needs. Most of the time the receptionist would ask a nurse first.

Good luck and don't let them get you down. I KNOW that you're going to find someone to help.

Hang in there,
  • Griff just gave some great advice...get the phone book and start calling. Even if you have to look right outside of your town...having to travel a little sucks but would be well worth it if you can find someone to help you. Also , make sure that you have a copy of all your medical reports , MRIs , X-Rays , etc...if at all possible to help speed the process along. As I told you in my PM if you need me then just let me know. I know all too well what it is like to run out of meds and go through withdrawals and you shouldn't have to go through it at all much less go through it alone...take care hon , Miki
  • I hope your PCP would help with pain meds. Mine gives all the meds and pain management does the injections only. I even went to a walk in clinic since my Dr. was on vacation and he gave me pain meds. Also my husband went there for a physical since he doesn't have a PCP or Family Dr. So I don't know if that would help you? I can't believe your Surgeon discharged you like that with hardly any meds. I hope you find someone. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • thats terrible.

Cyber hugs to you, I hope you find someone that can help soon.
    I can offer no suggestions as I am not familiar with your HC system.
  • That sucks.
    The local Pain clinic here is like that.
    They only do injections.
    They leave the meds to your PCP and if he is not willing you're in trouble.
    I went through exactly the same scene last fall. I had two C-spine epidural injections at the pain clinic. The first hurt for a few days and did nothing. The second was brutal! I felt pain clear to my fingertips on the WRONG SIDE opposite my right shoulder pain! I was in severe pain the next day. So I called my PCP, he said call the clinic, I called the clinc. They said nope, they would not help! My PCP said if it was so bad go to the ED at the hospital and it was. SO I DID! I was there for four hours and the staff and nurses treated like a JUNKIE! I have never felt so embarrased in my whole life! But, IT WORKED! The ED doc talked to me, understood and called my PCP and ripped him up one side and down the other! He told my PCP it was his job to take care of me and he needed to DO IT! The ED doc gave me a script for Percocet and sent me on my way.
    Ever since then. I have been fine with my PCP. He takes care of me. I have to complain at times as he does not like me taking 6 10/325s of Hydrocodone to get through the day. But he knows it is what it takes to get the job done.

Sorry for being so long winded.
    Please, do not let them do this to you!
    FIGHT BACK! It is up to you.

Hope you get what you need.
  • OMG, girl!!! This just cannot be right! What is wrong with those people?

You know we will be praying for you. If you lived closer, I'd send some of my pills to you. I just cannot believe this!
  • Terri~Has the Dr that previously prescribed pain meds to you discharged you from their care? If not,there are certain regulations that most Drs subscribe to when prescribing any type of pain medication that are/or may become habit forming.This is why some Drs won't take new patients who need these type of medications.It is also why the Dr treating your pain now cannot just leave you in limbo to be cut off 'cold turkey' from a medication that you may have become dependant on.Please don't misunderstand me-I'm not suggesting that you are dependant,but the prescribing Dr wouldn't know that,therefore he/she cannot just let you go untreated.

The exception would be if you had broken a contract.Even in those cases I have read that the Drs do a very fast weaning process to protect themselves against law suits.

I would go back/call the Dr who originally prescribed to you for the immediate treatment..they CAN refer you to a Dr who can treat your condition-and your pain.Drs network-and your primary would know better than you who would be the best to treat your issues.

**Edited today to ask how you are doing?**

• Thank you to all that responded.
    This is a rough trip at that, I cannot understand how this all cannot be federally controlled and each state has their own rules or dr have their own rules.

To answer Robins question. The dr that gave me meds in NOv and Dec is my primary I'v had for 10 yrs plus now.
    So that is what is getting me. Ortho dropping me at 8wks well there is more and more of that going on.

This is the story from my primary and I will make it as short as I can.
    I called in Nov said " my ortho wants you to take over my PM, they will send you a letter this is all due to my back fusion" He says "ok no problem what are you on? I say 10mg hydro was 8 a day now down to 5 a day. Heck I could of said 8 a day and he wouldn't know the difference. So he gives me 150 pills equals a month supply.
    Now I call in Dec a week after my refill was due and he says "why are you going through so many"? Huh you have to be kidding me right??!!?? So I proceed to say my back fusion all over again PLUS my aortic bi fem they told me to go to you to. HIS RESPONSE WAS 'THEY ARE LAZY' well yeah he did make sense.
    Anyways to wrap this up he said I will have to cut you down these are addictive. Well no ***** sherlock I am pretty well educated on the situation and been through enough, my folder is big enough for my whole family!!
    So now I am out of meds.(not dishcharged by anyone) So dealing with ultram, soma and valium and well I am hurting. I hate to say this but I do not feel any different then the day I fell down the stairs.
    So to me no surgery did not work. For the spondy yes so I do not want to confuse people. The herniations no.

So some ppl on here are being very helpful in trying to search for a pain dr. Now just remember pain managment drs and pain medicine drs are 2 totally different things.
    And its a HUGE HOOP to jump through.

To me I should be able to say 'LAWSUIT' and everyone should jump really really fast, to me its neglect in taking care of me after cutting me open.. Not sure??? hmmmm
    Oh well this is long enough.
    I will just deal. And will still continue to give out as much info as I can to help others on here..

Lots of love to all of you!!