Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bilateral facet hypertrophy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hey everyone! This is my first time here! I was sitting in my parked car on October 30th of 2008 and two vehicles got in an accident on the street I was parked on and both ran into me by accident. After the accident I had a large amount of pain in my neck, back and right shoulder. Now most of the pain has subsided with therapy, but I am still in a huge amount of pain in my lower back all down through my left leg. The doctor decided to send me for an MRI last week. I just got the results yesterday and this is what it says.

Mild bilateral facet hypertrophy at L4--5 and L5--S1.

I looked it up, but pretty much everything I find says this is caused from arthiritis. I am only 24 years old and I never had any back problems before this. I cannot bend backwards even 1 inch and I used to be able to do backbends no problem.

I go to the doctor on Wednesday, a week from today and I would just like to know a little bit more about this if someone could explain it to me a little better, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much, have a nice day.

• hope you find many answers here. I know I did :)

Sorry to here about the accident :(
  • thanks!

Also, up top of the report is says, "There is mild congenital spinal canal stenosis.".

I'm not sure what this means either.

I looked both of these things up and they are all prevalent in older people, not people that are 24...I wish I could go to the doctor today instead of having to wait a week :(

• I am young as well (32) and after breaking my back a year ago, and never being able to recover, was finally diagnosed with mild facet hypertrophy of L4-5, L5-S1.

Used to be pretty active and could do backbends no problem but, like you, can't even bend backwards an inch and am in constant pain. I have some nerve pain radiating down the leg as well. The doctor recommends a minor surgery to deaden the nerves but do not want to do this.

You are the first I have heard of with this condition who is young like me, and was wondering if you made any progress or have any advice on recovery. would be much appreciated!
  • Hi this is my first time on too. I have had several MRI's which said I had bulging disc problems. Now I just had another MRI a few weeks ago because I get terrible pain in my back when I do alot of housework, and my legs are in such pain , my thighs my knees and down my shins. I can hardly walk sometime. It drags me down. I just went to a pain management Dr. he prescribed steroids, and ulterset (pain killers) I have not taken the steroids as yet just brought the rx to the drug store, He wants me to take them for 6 days along with physical therapy. I don't know what to do anymore I have alot of difficulty walking. Has anyone experienced this kind of pain.
This discussion has been closed.