Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Erica's 8 week Update!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello Everyone,
Thank you all for having me in your thoughts and prayers. I have been struggling this last week with a bizzare foot problem. I had fusion from L4 to S1 eight weeks ago and had a kink happen at week five. Last week they found what they thought to be a sliver of donor bone out of place and it was touching a nerve that sent pain to my foot. My NS was great in ordering a CT last week to find out the root problem with my foot. We tried steroids for a week and hoped it would work. If they didnt work I was facing the possibilty of a quick clean up surgery. Here is the update from today at eight weeks and 1 day since surgery.
I am showing signs of fusion at both levels
My BLT *bend lift twist* restrictions have been lifted
I can now continue PT as it was put on hold (going tommorow)
The sliver has dissolved
Foot pain is gone almost 100 percent
The steroid WORKED so no clean up surgery needed
Everything is PERFECT !!!! YAY

My doctor gave me a hug as I cried tears of relief in his office and he said "you are rebounding so fast, your foot is healing, now get out there and live your life again, everything is perfect"....THIS is why I trust and respect my NS, he is thorough and CARES!

I cant thank all of you enough for your support. I hope you are all doing well.
Wish I could dance today!! One day soon though I can do a little boogie. Finally tears of relief!

• Erica,

That is a great report - probably one of the best I have read from someone 8 weeks post-op (especially after the unexpected sliver problem)!

You must feel an extreme sense of relief.

I am very happy for you.
  • So glad to hear your wonderful news! The fusion, the foot pain, the lifting of your BLT restrictions. Now, just don't overdo like I did when my restrictions were lifted. "Do as I say, not as I do." ;)

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    for you when you return there to once again enjoy one of your life's pleasures.

I am so glad to hear this news.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • You are the best support anyone could ask for. I will continue the updates as more weeks pass. Yes Kathy I will do as I am told and not over do you have my word. haha. Mark thank you, you have always been so kind and diligent as a friend to everyone.
    Ron...I will surf again some day, just like I tackled that mountain. But for now, the treadmil works just as well I will pretend its a board on the ocean haha.
    Thanks again everyone.
  • Dearest Erica,

I cannot tell you how pleased I am to read and hear about this update.

Throughout your first 8 weeks post op, you have always been happy, cheerful and only too willing to offer encouragement to everyone who has needed it.

When you had that set back, we offered our prayers and support to you and we are so glad things worked out for you as well as they have.

We have our saying of carrying each other through hurricane waters to blue skies, and I hope you know I would do that for you.

Thank you hunnie for your support, and Im so glad to call you my friend.

Lots of love
    Danni xoxo
  • congratulations...you must be overjoyed-I hope you continue to recover without future problems
  • And again, a loss for words..lol but I lurves you nugget!
  • That is amazing!!! I'm so happy for you!!

Take care,

• That is such great news. You give all of us hope.
    Take care,
  • That's great news! You deserve it! Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • That is terrific news! I'm sure you are probably still on cloud nine right now and believe me you have every right to stay there as long as you like and enjoy the view! I hope someday soon you will be out there living life to it's fullest. Dance sweetheart Dance! Congratulations to you!
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi Erica
    It is such wonderful news
    It was such a worry when you had that setback last week, but thankfully you got the right treatment and now you are back on the right track for an active life. Don't over do it though, you are young so the boogie can wait just a little longer.
    Take care, thanks for all your support not just for me but for everybody.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I am soooo happy for you!! You go girl!
  • I am so glad to hear you are doing so well! <:P All our prayers did wonders for you. Warm up the backmobile. I hope to be doing better soon =)) That is such great news Hun and pleae keep us updated.
  • for your support, and encouragement yet again. Also very much appreciate the concern you had for my situation. Thought I would give a quick update on what has happened since I posted this.
    Almost zero foot pain
    Wore jeans for first time in two months (incision sensative)
    Was able to be out and about for FOUR hours this weekend
    Started PT again and have some new excersises
    Checked ROM and I am able to bend at almost 90 degrees assisted which is amazing, and didnt hurt.
    Side motion is great on both sides
    Extention is a bit stiff still but we will be working on that as well.
    Have to say after todays PT and this weekend being able to wear jeans again for the first time I feel human again.

Thank you all, much love
  • I cannot believe that you are 8 weeks post op from a multi-level PLIF. I had my single level PLIF two days after you and boy, I'm no way near bending or PT. I have worn jeans, just not the size I was a few months ago (LOL). Being immobile has not been kind to me. I guess being 27 years old versus 45 has a little something to do with it :?

Honestly though, great news on your recovery. Sounds like your working your way towards spring nicely.