Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Botox injections

baffledbbaffled Posts: 375
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Pain Management
Wasn't sure where to put this, here or injections, - anyways, tried thumbing thru some of the posts, but did not find too much on Botox inj.

Having this done this week, just wondering what to expect, during and after the shots. During sounds like getting trigger pt inj., but after i am not sure what to expect. Have had severe muscle spasms in thoracic area of late and they hope that this will be something long lasting for the thoracic area. When he did the trigger in my Trap muscle, he hoped it would give some relief to my neck, but not so much.

Any experiences someone would like to share would be appreciated.

• I have had many Botox injections in my neck and in my lower back. They are much easier than a trigger point injection. The needle used is much smaller and the volume of fluid is much smaller too.

Depending on the number of areas injected and the amount of Botox used, a flu like reaction would occur for a few days. Relief from the Botox generally kicks in about 1 and a half to 2 weeks after the injection. I would get relief for not quite 3 months, at which time the injections would be repeated.

I had a series of 8 injections on each side in my lower back for just over a year and it was a blessing. It allowed the spasms to be knocked down and the muscles to heal.

The ones in my neck weren't as easy to deal with and not as effective.

• I have been getting Myobloc (like botox) injections since last July. Like you, regular trigger point injections didn't help much. The injections aren't bad. For me, they were much like trigger point injections with lidocaine (my Dr. even mixed the Myobloc with lidocaine so it wouldn't hurt so much going in). I didn't get any flu symptoms, was just achy for a few days at the injection sites. My doctor recommended trigger point massage (active release) in addition to the Myobloc and the combination has helped a lot. I still have pain, but the spasms go away for ~3 months and are much less than before even when the Myobloc wears off. The pain is slowly improving over time - I think it will take a long time for the msucles and fascia to heal. My insurance doesn't pay for the injections because Myobloc/Botox are not FDA approved for trigger points. I am wondering if anyone has been successful getting your insurance to pay for this.

Let us know how it goes - I hope you get some relief!
  • Went back to the pm doctor who diagnosis was that i had a significant muscle tear in my thoracic (he did his dictation with me in the room) and specifically had me make this appt. within a week so that he could give me botox inj. When I arrived he wasn't feel well, had me do a few more diagnostic phyisical items with my legs and arms, then said "No do the cervical radiofrequency then we will talk about botox - see you in 4 weeks"

I was so stunned, and asked, i thouught we were doing the botox today. He said you gained movement in your neck with the radiofrequency - do that again. Introduced me to another doc, who said, whatever I would choose to do (have the procedure with him or who did it before).

I was so stunned and upset, i received the best relief from this pm's trigger inj. than any other injections, and i had really put hope into the botox - at least for relief in the thoracic area!

To top it off - locked my keys in the truck and left it running (was running late trying to find a parking spot on my way to the appt. and was a little nervous)

OH WHAT A DAY!!!!!
  • So sorry that you had such a trying time. It really is frustrating when you expect one thing and then get something else.