Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Fusion

MonkusMMonkus Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Scoliosis
Hi my name is Mark,
I have under 2 weeks to decide if i should have the operation or not, i have been told about all the risks and benefits about the operation, but im still in two minds about it because, at the moment i am in a wheelchair and i can get in and out of bed, in and out the bath on my own but have been told that after the op i might not be able to do that, i have also talked to some of my friends who have had the Spinal Fusion, and some say have it and others say don't. I could really do with some advice.

• It's a tough decision for anyone no matter what condition has lead them down this path. So you are in the right place for answers and support. Could you give us a little background and what levels they are thinking of fusing and why?
  • all the docs have told me is they are going to go in from the side and down the back, use pins to straighten my back then about 2 days later fuse the spine in the middle i think and they are fusing it because at the moment is is curved im not sure what angle it is all i know is that it has only curved a further 16 degrees in 2 years
  • I have a daughter in law who's brother has Cerebral Palsy. He had surgery. He has pins and rods and screws from the top of his back to the bottom of his spine. Having surgery weighed very heavy on his mind. He really DID NOT want to go through with it but the Dr. said that if he didn't we would no longer be able to sit in his wheelchair at all after another few years. So he gave it much thought and decided that he could get through it with much courage and a very loving and supportive family and a Church who prayed him through it. He spent 1 week in the hospital and when he came home he was anxious to get back to school so as soon as Christmas break was over he went back. That was 6 weeks after surgery. He was off of his medication 1 week after surgery. Which was Tylenol3 Oh and did I mention he's only 18? So his was a decision of what kind of quality of life he wanted for himself. That's the question that only YOU can answer. I hope though that you find your inspiration either here or deep down inside yourself. Wishing you all the best whatever your decision is. :)
This discussion has been closed.