Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help with diagnosis?? I'm lost!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello all, I've come for some outside opinions on my lower back pain. I'm a strength athlete and often do heavy squats and deadlifts. I am usually pain free but I have a recurring problem, please help me diagnos this!!!

Occasionally after a session my back will tighten up. I find it accutely painful to bend over, put on shoes, sit in unsupportive chairs, etc. HOWEVER twice I have found COMPLETE and total relief by accidentally doing an excersize that presses my knees towards my chest. In this position I have experienced a rather sudden POP which is starteling and almost alarming. I will stand up to find I have zero ZERO back pain. I can touch my toes, twist, etc.

What is my problem and why does this reoccur? Is that a sign that I am slipping a disc out of place and it is "popping" back into place? I am lost!

• and welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of support and understanding here. However , we are not doctors and cannot diagnose what may or may not be going on with your back. I would suggest that you definitely have it checked out by a doctor. I am not familiar with what all a strength athlete would do so I can't even begin to imagine what , if any , of your actions could be leading to this. Please do get checked out and please keep us posted as to what you find out and how you are doing. I wish you the best of luck and I truly hope that there is absolutely nothing wrong. If there is anything that I can help you with then please feel free to PM me and just let me know. Take care....Miki
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. you have been given some great sdvice by Miki. =D> talking to your doctor is the best solution for your pain problem. :-C please make yourself at home here and have a good look around! good luck with your pain. =D> Jenny
  • Thank you guys! I have been browsing around and there is a wealth of great info here.

I just want to possibly clarify my situation a bit and maybe get some direction here prior to seeing my doc. BTW I'm definitely not looking for a true diagnosis, only a possibility. I will let the MD's earn their salary!

I'm wondering what type of injury/condition I might be experiencing that would cause pain throughout the day but be suddenly and literally 100% CURED with a pop to my lower spine? Is the disk out of place and then popping back into alignment? I will have this checked out but I'm just very inquisitive and am looking for all opinions. I just want to educate myself a bit so that I can go to the doc with poignant questions and understand his diagnosis.
  • I was diagnosed with mild stenosis and early onset of degenerative disc disease about 3 years ago. Went through Physical therapy, steroid injection L4/L5, and finally a rizotomy ( sorry for spelling). I was never put on any lifting or job restriction. In Feb 2008 I started a physically demanding position as a Maintenance Technician. This position required me to do a lot of heavy lifting at very streched out body positions as well as using a lot of physcial strength moving heavy objects and tightening bolts with large torque wrenches. I was doing fine at this for the first 3 months after that I noticed a gradual increase in my lower back pain to the point that my doctor increase my pain medication from loritab 4x 5/500 and 2x 30mg moraphine to 4x 10/375 and 2x 60mg moraphine as well as order a new MRI. Turns out that I had a herniated disc L4/L5 and needed to have the disc removed. My surgeon told that with this type of injury it is very hard to determine when it happened and he really does not want to say that the injury occured due to the physical nature of my job. My lawyer wants to drop my workmens comp case unless the doctor gives some kind of indication that the physical nature of my job could have caused this injury. Because there is no specific date of injury that I went to my boss and said I hurt myself, I am being told that with the earliar diagnoses of degenerative disc disease and my doctors unwillingness to say that there is a good chance I was hurt at work that I will not qualify for workmans comp. I have been out of work sence Aug and was just recently released to go back to work with minor lifting restrictions(25lbs on regular basis with 50lbs every so often). Any help finding information showing that physically demanding work could have caused my injury would be very helpful. Also I am worried that going back to that type of work will cause additional injury.

Please Help

This discussion has been closed.