Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cath's 3-Month Update

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi guys, just thought I'd update you after seeing my surgeon yesterday for my 3-month checkup.

First, and most important, I am almost fully fused at the C4-5 and C5-6 levels. I am just barely fused at C6-7. Doc said this is the most difficult to fuse because it bends the most when you move your head/neck. He told me before surgery that if it doesn't fuse, he'll have to go back in posteriorly and put in a cage. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll see my surgeon in June to see if C6-7 is has fused any more.

My PT starts next Wednesday and he said that it's going to get worse while I begin using muscles that I haven't used in three months, and then once it gets better, it's going to get a LOT better (pain-wise).

I don't have to wear my brace anymore, but keep it handy just in case. Last night was the first night in three months that I didn't have something wrapped around my neck while I slept. I could've slept for 12 hours it felt so good! It's amazing how liberated I feel being free of the neck brace. Awesome! =D>

Take care all!

Cath

advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    Sounds like a good overall report. It is true about C6/C7 being a bit more difficult to fuse because of the bending. I am almost 10 years out since my last 2 different ACDF's and when I had a cervical MRI about a month ago, it shows that C4/C5 being a bit unstable, but still some spurs around C6/C7.

I still remember to this day, when I no longer needed the hard collar. If I recall, I saturated it with lighter fluid and burnt it!

PT will help, just dont let them overdo it. And yes in the beginning, it will hurt, you will almost wish you were back in your collar and never saw PT. Give it some time and you will see a positive difference. And please always remember your neck situation and adhere to everything you have been told. Over doing it, could cause additional problems.

Take extra care of yourself

PapaRon
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • That you recieved what seems to be a very good report from your doctor. I can imagine (Im lumbar) that it has to feel good to get that collar off your neck. I would have wanted it to be off at week one! Really glad to hear things are going well and that you are able to start PT. My mom had similar surgery and it was painful at first when she started PT but now she just cruises right along and the pain has subsided for her. She had hers done in early Oct. so PT has been going on for her just in the last month or so, and she has had alot of improvment in regaurds to pain. I pray the same for you. Hang in there and as Ron says dont over do and do only what you are told you are able to do as well as listening to your body. I had to tell my PT to back off of an excerise to let my foot have some time to still heal from drop foot. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.
    Congrats on the report and to your health.

Erica
  • I'm really grateful that everything has turned out as good as it has. Yesterday I had 0 pain for most of the day - that's absolutely UNHEARDOF! :D

I will forever be aware of my neck and will never do anything to hurt it again. It's been a long journey, but I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel (as long as it's not a train!).