Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

t9crushedtt9crushed Posts: 118
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Pain Medications
I told my doctor that Aleve seems to help my pain a little but can't take it often due to stomach. He said he would call my compounding pharmacy and that they can make up a gel with aleve or something similar that i can rub right on my back.

I don't have it yet but wanted to ask if anyone has ever tried it.

• There is a bit about Voltaren Gel, and about Ibuprofen Gel and creme in the Arthritis thread which you may find useful too.I find that the creme plus laying flat on my heat pad is the best relief for my "T" ache problems.
    Viking :)))
  • If the pain is deep down / deep inside, a gel may not touch it.

In general non selective NSAIDs, such as Aleve/Naproxen and Ibuprofen, are bad on the stomach, however the newer COX 2 NSAIDS are way better. The most well know COX 2 NSAIDs are Vioxx, Celebrex and Arcoxia (Etoricoxib). Vioxx was pulled from the market a few years ago, but Celebrex (Celecoxib) is available in the US. Arcoxia is not yet available in the US but is available in other countries.

I cannot take the non selective NSAIDs as they affect my stomach too much, but Arcoxia does not affect it at all, even in strong doses.

t9, did your doctor suggest Celebrex at all?
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• thanks to all.

I am hoping it will help with the inflamation around my injury area caused by arthritis and bone spurs and bone o bone contact.

I am 99% sure that I took Celbrex years ago. Is that the one that is not supposed to mess up the stomach. I took it for a few months and got stomach problems and the doc said even though it's supposed to be better that the most common side effect was stomach upset. Plus it did not seem to work very well to me.
  • As a side effect of Lyrica, I developed stiff sore joints - especially my hands. After ruling out rheumatoid arthritis, rheumatologist prescribed Pennsaid. It comes in a drop form and you put 10-15 drops on the area and rub in. I can't take oral NSAIDS either and found that the Pennsaid really helped.
    Best of luck to you!
  • My Dr. Prescribed Lidocaine Jelly in a small tube. It supposed to penetrate deep down & numb the pain or nerves. So far so Good. I am now requesting the Patch to make it easier for me to put on myself.
    I have major low back Pain. Believe it's Facet Joints/Arthritis
  • I'm a newbie - here's my two cents on NSAID gel...

I was in Ukraine a few years ago and got Voltaren gel OTC at a pharmacy - it was pretty helpful for my pain. Since then I've had a few friends go to Europe and bring some back. It was interesting to see that Flector patches are now available here, Paula - I'm going to ask my DR for them.

I've taking voltaren orally for a few years and it's the one NSAID that doesn't mess with my stomach ;-). I've used lidocaine patches - didn't do anything for me but I've heard lots of people get relief with them. I remember Vioxx, too - it was great! But Celebrex is off limits to me - anybody who is allergic to sulpha shouldn't take it.