Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Red, warm foot post op..Anybody have this symptom?

TatiyanaTTatiyana Posts: 194
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My NS said at 2 weeks that it was something to do with the nerve being messed with during surgery but quite frankly that was on the bottom of my list of concerns at the time /:)

Now that I am feeling better, this is bugging me more :S
Since I haven't seen anyone else post about this, I am curious if anyone else on here has experienced it?

My left foot is noticably redder & warmer than my other foot. It's weird..also it has a tingly sensation but I'm used to that.
Pre-op my leg nerve pain was more concentrated at the top back of my leg & now it is more at the knee down. I see my NS in another 2 weeks so I will definately ask him more about this then, but would appreciate your thoughts & experiences to tide me over :D

• i tend to be an anxious person.... but i would get it checked out. warmth and redness can be symptoms of DVT. i'm not saying that you should freak out or anything, but better safe than sorry, ya know? if you've gone this long and there hasn't been a major issue, then it should be safe to just make an appt with your primary... no need to run to the e.r. but i really would recommend getting it looked at... hope it's nothin! (:
  • I agree with Lo to get it checked out. I had one red shin and foot that were swollen soon after the herniated disc and annular tear diagnosis. I had xrays, bone scan and ultrasound-leg dopplers. At first they thought stress fracture because the 1st xray showed tissue swelling. But after all those tests and a week later and another xray showed no fracture just soft tissue swelling so I put ice on my leg and foot a few times a day. The swelling and redness went down in a few weeks. But that's my experience as I'm not a Dr. and can't give any medical advice. I hope you're feeling better though. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Swelling and redness could be a nerve related thing, but like previous said, could also be a DVT. One thing I would do is take a paper measuring tape and measure the size of both foot(across your foot, the width) and the width of both calves. If you have a DVT, often one will be significantly different than the other. Caution tho, it could be different because of muscle being atrophied(less used) because of pain.

Is it a specific area that is red or just generally red? If specific are, take an ink pen and draw around the border of the redness so you can see if it gets larger or smaller.

Those are just a couple of tools. Most important is that you see your doctor. After all, that's what he's getting paid the big bucks for, right? :)
  • It is just generally red...not too noticable until you put it up to my other foot & then you can really tell.
    No swelling...but the warmth is the weird part :/ . Anyone can feel the temp difference between my 2 feet.

Like I said, it was present at my first follow up & he was not concerned but told me I was not imagining it - it really is red & warm... I just can't remember what he said after that (darn narcotics! 8} ) something to do with the nerve tho.

I see him in 2 weeks so I will find more out then, it must be rare tho since noone here has seemed to experience it :? .
    My main concern is that it eventually goes away..hopefully in time for sandal season B)