Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Second Ortho Appointment

charryccharry Posts: 5,657
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Lower Back Pain
I had my 2nd opinion Ortho today and he said he didn't know the cause of my pain. I said but the herniated disc and annular tear with disc material in contact with S 1 nerve? He said a bulge? Oh brother!! He couldn't even see it on the MRI CD I brought with me. I see my Family Dr. tomorrow, I think I need another MRI as it's been a year almost and the same symptoms. I thought decompression surgery? I guess I need another opinion. It's very discouraging. Just needed to vent and any support is great. Thanks. Charry
DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• it is very frustrating.

Do you have the report that said about your disc?

Discogram makes more sense to me to see if/what may be causing your pain, if indeed it is a disc. A logical step??

Good Luck.

I hope you feel better soon.
  • i too am having to get another mri mine is almost a year old, but my symptoms have gotten significantly worse. i would definitely get a second opinion you basically have what i have in your lower back it sounds like and my ortho completely understands where my pain is coming from. o well i hope you get the help you need!!!
  • I'm sorry you're going through all this frustration. Perhaps the doctor can order a ct/myelogram and it can clear up any confusion once and for all because it's more sensitive than an MRI. Well, I hope he gets to the bottom of this. Would you consider having a micro-d if it's offered, or are you trying to avoid having surgery?
  • Charry,
    It does come as a bit of a shock when you wait all this time and the reality of not knowing what is specifically causing the pain we go in with the expectation that its origin is easy to diagnose and this is not the case even with the improvement of the technology that we have today. Having attained a specific diagnosis, that as you now know is just the start as the whole process of a suitable outcome and reflected upon.

Although you and many others are coping with the reality of waiting in pain the knowledge that its immediacy defines the status is two fold, you are glad they are not doing it tomorrow and all the implications this could have and your turn will come soon enough mandated by your pre existing condition to more invasive procedures. That waiting time does seem non-productive at this time and we struggle to comprehend our future and what this will mean for our overall existence and we should be aware of not rushing headlong into an irreversible situation.

It is one step forward and two back and for some that is how it is and however much we wish it were different accepting some of that time scale and reality requires us to be more tenacious and stoic. They are being honest with you and telling you like it is, although this may not be what you what to hear, we all have to work within our progressive limitation and emerging existence or falter.

If you plan for a realistic outcome than you will not be disappointed and anything better will be an improvement, none of this is easy and I have had a failed fusion and that is only pertinent to me specifically and not the norm overall based on the total procedures, good luck and be kind to yourself.

• I would definitely get another MRI since it's almost a year old and make sure the doctors see the written report with what the radiologist sees that interprets the film.

Good luck hon! *****hugs*****
  • You have to keep insisting an MRI sometimes doesn't show reality, after my first surgery they said the small hernia above was ok and they didn't touch it, I went through hell and four months later they did another MRI and it says on the report very large herniated disc but they found it weird because it was to the left and my symptoms and nerve damage was on the right when they did the electromiograms and 8 months later when the neurosurgeon opened up again he said it wouldn't have lasted a month it was ruptured and not only invading the right side but the center and the left side which did not show on the MRI. He said a bad movement or trip could have caused permanent damage. I believe my chronic pain is due to the time they left me with pinched nerves and enormous hernias after the car accident. Yet after the outcome of the neck surgery I am not having my lower back protusion and hernia touched till it gets too bad.
    Good luck and take care, keep insisting and make them do their job!
This discussion has been closed.