Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New with neck pain

WickedPainWWickedPain Posts: 26
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi All

I am new :)
I am a 33 year old female and as long as I can remember, I have had tingling in my hands and arm. I was told it was everything from carpal tunnel to arthritis. So I just lived with it, until about 6 months ago. I woke up and could not move my neck. The pain went down my arm and it was so bad I could not brush my teeth, take a shower, nothing, I was in such horrible pain that my husband took me to the hospital. I was put on meds and it went a away but happened again a few months later and has never fully gone away. My Dr finally was sent to get an MRI and it turns out that I have a herniated disk C5-C6 and a bulging one C6-C7. I have gone to several Dr’s and they all recommend the prestige disk. I am going to have the disc replacement done in February and I am terrified. Has anyone had the surgery?

• :) hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sure you will find lots of good info here on the site. :? i do not have your problems but i am sure others will drop by who can assist you. please make yourself at home and have a look around. check out the "Back and Neck Surgery" forum for more input. =D> good luck as you seek pain relief! Jenny :)
  • I didn't have the Prestige disc but I know there are others around here who will chime in. I had the traditional ACDF with cadaver bone so I would be interested to see how your recovery works out as opposed to mine. I'll be watching for you around the forum. The surgery itself isn't as scary as we all imagine. Until you go through it it's the fear of the unknown that just paralyzes most of us. I got through the days leading up to surgery just busying myself with arranging my house and getting ready for "the big day." I stocked my house with soft foods and made sure that my kids were able to have friends to do the driving for them to get where they needed to go. (They are teenagers so I was quite lucky to have them around to help me out.) The whole sore throat thing lasted about 2 weeks and I was on soft food earlier than that. I actually ate a blueberry muffin while still in the hospital. It was one bite at a time but I did it. :) I won't sugar coat it for you. There is post op pain involved but if you have a doctor that you trust he/she will not let you suffer. My best wishes to you and keep us updated.
  • Thanks Tonya I am glad that it has worked for you. I really trust my Dr but I guess I am just scared to have the surgery no matter who is doing it. You are right the whole unknown is driving me nuts. My biggest fear is not waking back up. Thanks for the advice I will try to keep myself very busy the next 2 weeks. I will keep everyone posted.