Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie here-Upcoming surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Spinal Stenosis

I'm scheduled for surgery on March 4th for Dynesys Dynamic Stabil. Sys. I'm sure most of you know what this is. I started out with 2 ruptured disks over 20 yrs. ago & been dealing with that & just last yr. was diag. with Spinal stenosis, & my spine has slipped forward. I also have arthritis & fibromyalgia...

I tried phy. therapy many times, had the spinal epiduals. Have done most everything I can possibly do, I walk as much as I can weather permitting. I live way up north. So ice is a bad thing for me. :)

I found this site just tonight & decided to do some serious reading. I'm scared to death about having surgery but I have to. I can't go on like this anymore. I'm a 47 yr. old person who acks like an 80 yr. old most of the time.

I don't want to go anywhere anymore, in fear of hurting too much. I stay home way to much, mainly in the winter. I don't hurt as much in the summer & can get around much better in the warm summer months. OK so much for my into, I'll start reading some more now. Nice to meet everyone.

I also wanted to add that my upcoming surgery will be on L4 L5.

• If your comfortable with the Surgeon that's great. I hope you've had a second opinion and that may help alleviate your concerns about surgery. I wish you all the best for your upcoming surgery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Yes, I have had a second opinion & am very comfy with my surgeon. :) I went to grade school & high school with him. :)

I know his mom quite well, she's been a friend of my mothers for a long time.

I am just a worrier & would like to hear from others who have had this smae surgery since it's new.

Thanks, Janis
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    I had a Laminectomy of L4 thru L6 in August of 06. I was plagued with lower back pain prior to that for more than 25 years. When my left thigh went numb
    then it was time for surgery for the stenosis. After the surgery I couldn't believe how well I felt. I live in northern MN so I can relate to what you go thru with the cold weather. Not only the cold but the fear of slipping and falling due to ice. Take care and keep us posted here on your results.
  • I can't wait to have some relief from this pain. I remember how good my knee felt after the arthroscopic surgery {3 times} so am hoping for good results after the back surgery.

I been waiting since Sept. for the surgery, my surgeon is a busy guy. He's backed up for months. I think the waiting is what's so hard really.

Thanks again for your reply & yes these winters can be rough when you have pain problems & arthritis etc. I'm almost a different person in the summer months.

Be well, janis
  • Hi Janis,
    I have severe stenosis at L4/L5 level and am scheduled for a Laminectomy on March 5th. I am 60 years old and have had several other surgeries throughout my years but this one really scares me.

I'm in Kansas, we also have ice and cold to deal with so I can relate to just about everything you have said.

I think trust in your surgeon is one of the most important issues to have. I wish you luck with your surgery that it helps with your pain.

• Are you having the Dynesys Stabilization system done this time? Looks like my surgery will be the day before yours. I just spoke to my surgeons nurse & she said I will have a 3" incision on either side, I assume she means on each side of my spine.

I read where some people are cut from front & back. I will know a lot more when I go in for my pre-op appt. which will be within the next few weeks sometime.

Good luck to you,
  • The only thing I know right now is that I will have a 3 to 4 inch incision for the laminectomy. I go for my preop visit on February 27th and I have lots of questions for him. I have a neurosurgeon.
  • Hi Darby,

I am told by the nurse that I will have 2 3" incisions, one on each side of my spine. That's not too bad at all.

Hope your doing ok.

• I am doing the best I can. It seems my pain gets a little worse every day. I am now taking a perocet every six hours and all they do is take the edge off. I feel absolutely helpless at times. My husband has severe, chronic COPD and cannot do anything so its all on me. I try to clean house and have to sit down and rest every 15 to 20 minutes. I work at a desk job 40 hours a week. I can get up and walk around whenever I need to. It seems that I cannot stand, walk, or even sit for too long at one time.

I'll have to ask my neuro about the incision. I think he said one incision for me. Maybe you are having what they call a double laminectomy. Seems there are always more questions popping up to ask. I guess thats a good thing.

Let me know what you find out at your preop appointment.
    Good Luck!