Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgery already????

spinaltapsspinaltap Posts: 50
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi Guys - I went in for my 3rd visit yesterday and the dr is telling me my next step is surgery. She said if the surgeoon finds he can't do the surgery for any reason, then I will come back to her and we will find a way to deal with all of this. From your experiences, why would a dr suggest surgery so soon? I just found out about this neck thing 2 months ago.........

• Hi Spinaltap.

I went to the doctor last April for back pain that turned out to be muscle spasms because of my neck. I tried PT for 3 weeks and it did nothing. That put me on the fast track to surgery which happened in October. Sometimes a person doesn't feel the pain until it's time for surgery like myself. Others may suffer with pain for years before they have to have surgery.

So, what you're going through is really not uncommon. I went through the exact same thing - I felt the first pain due to my neck and the next thing I know I'm having surgery.

Take care and keep us posted. Don't hesitate to PM me if you need to vent or have any questions.

• Cath - Are you happy with how your surgery turned out? Did you work full time before and were you able to continue?
  • Yes, I'm very glad I had the surgery. I was having some monster muscle spasms, 24/7 tingling in my right arm and hand, and was losing the use of my left arm. Just before surgery, the pain in my left arm was awful - it felt like tennis elbow and I would ice it and wear a band around it but nothing could make it feel better. I couldn't even hold a glass of ice water with that arm.

When I woke up from surgery I had full use of my left arm and no more tingling in my right arm.

I won't kid you, surgery and recovery is a long row to hoe, but it was worth it to me. Here I sit, three months post-op, no neck brace, pretty good ROM, full use of both arms, and getting ready to start PT.

Yesterday was the first day since last April that I actually had my pain level at 0. Yes, 0. WOOT!

My surgery was on Oct. 21 and I went back to work part time Dec. 15. I'm still part time and probabl won't go full time until after I start PT. I'm lucky, tho, STD at my company pays 100%, so I can take my time.

Depending on what you do for a living, you may be able to go back sooner than me. I'm a graphic designer and work at a computer, so that's a toughy with neck issues.
  • Post-op pain issues are muscle spasms and deep ache in the back of the neck. I have hardware, so I'm sure that contributes.

What kind of surgery are they wanting you to have? What symptoms are you having?
  • I want know unitl 2/25 what type they are suggesting. I have horrible headaches, constant aching pain in both arms, numbness in my right hand and some in my left, pain between the shoulder blades that goes through to the chest sometimes, occasional bouts or vertigo.

• Hi Cath,

Hope you don't mind PM, but hoping to find out what your surgery was for exactly and type? I have some of the same syptoms you described and am very curious as to exactly what your problem was? Thanks.

• I had an MRI on a Saturday and was in surgery by the following Friday.I had no problems with my neck before and had no idea what was wrong with me except that my hands and feet were numb, I had alittle pain in my neck but not something I could put 2 and 2 together. So, you see, they have their reasons why and when surgery is the only option.
    I wish you all the best and hope everything works out for you.
  • Mark, feel free to PM me with any questions you have.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    spinaltap said:
    Hi Guys - From your experiences, why would a dr suggest surgery so soon? I just found out about this neck thing 2 months ago.........
    I'm sure it's because of the nerve damage. I waited too long to see a Dr and now my nerve damage is permanent. Sounds like your Dr knows what is going on, ask lots of questions, get lots of answers so you know everything that is going on with your body.
    Take care,
  • I woke up on a Monday morning in June 2008 with severe neck pain. I had been camping and boating the weekend before with no problems. I spent a week and a half going to my chiropractor, thinking it was just the usual stiff neck/sore muscles thing. When it wasn't getting better, and the pain actually spread to my shoulder with numbness in my left hand, I went and had an MRI. The MRI showed compressed disc space, bone spurs, narrowed neural foramen and spinal stenosis. I saw an orthopedic surgeon the following week, a neurosurgeon two weeks after that, and scheduled my surgery for October. I could have had it as soon as August, but I postponed it due to scheduling issues at work.

I was actually able to relieve most of my symptoms and was relatively pain-free before my surgery, but even my chiropractor told me not to cancel it. Bone spurs and the narrowed foramen weren't going to go away by themselves and any trauma or inflammation to my neck would just bring the symptoms back. I talked to a couple people that postponed their surgeries because they were able to manage the pain with PT, and their recoveries were much rougher than mine and they now have permanent nerve damage.

I am very pleased with the outcome of my surgery. I am only 3 months out, off all my pain meds, and most days I never even know I had anything done to my neck. I was back at work part-time after only 2 weeks, and back full-time within a month. Right now I can shovel snow, dance, bowl, ride an ATV (carefully) and my NS says I should even be able to being skiing by March. I am very glad I didn't wait to have surgery, and if that's what you are being advised to do, I would not hesitate.
  • Hi all....I have good news. My surgeons office had a cancellation next Thursday the 12th and they asked me to come in early. Why me of all the people that they see I will never know but I thank God. I'm so ready to get this over with.....