Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

prestige disc replacement

cwmwnwbbccwmwnwbb Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in New Member Introductions
My wife is scheduled Feb. 2009. I am interested in anyone who's had the surgery to share their progress and any info. relating to it.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. please check out the "Back and Neck surgery" forum for some good input on your wife's surgery. :? she is so fortunate to have you by her side. :X asking questions is one good way to start a successful recovery program. please remember to get your rest as well. =D> i am sure she needs you now and will need you even more after surgery. please be sure you have gotten that second opinion. the more information you have the better. :? please keep us posted and keep your questions coming! Jenny :)
  • Hi
    Welcome! This is the best site for information, there is everything here. You and your wife will find much understanding and friends here.
    Knowing you came here for your wife says a lot about you. Don't forget to take care of you too, ok?
    I don't know what the prestige part means..but I had a disc replaced last April. Am having some problems with other side of body now, so I guess it did help the left side...details of the surgery your best to look under all the info you can find here.
    Everyone is differnt and results are different too. Go to the doc as informed as you can for her. Take care of yourself too. See you around the forum, an good luck to you both >:D<
  • I have just had this surgery done last week on Jan. 21/09 and it is absolutely fabulous. I had two discs replaced with prestige artificial stainless steel discs at C4, and C5/C6 level. The surgery took about six hours and the next day I was groogy and I just rested all day. The following day I was up walking, eating, and sleeping well. On the third day I had a shower and went home. I have experienced very little pain and I am only taking Tylenol 3's. If you were to look at me now, you would never think I recently had a major surgery. I am able to sleep normally on my side. If you are feeling nervous about your surgery, or have some questions please post your comment and I will get back to you. And please don't worry, your surgery will be fine, the doctors are unbelievable.
  • Thank all of you for the input.
  • I am a 37 year old female and had the prestige replacement surgery on C5-6 on 1/5/09 with great results. I spent 1 night in the hospital and the worse part was gagging when they removed the breathing tube. I was groggy for a few days following and was on percocet for some time. I did have some minor pain on the back of neck and shoulders for a while. Now my only restriction is that I can't turn my head as far left or right as I used to which should come back in time. Other than that it was great. Glad I had the procedure done.
  • Which disc did you choose, ie. prestige, pro disc, maverick.

Oh, how bad do you golf...lol

Hopefully you will be back on the course in the spring, did the doctor give you any specifics on when you could play aagain?
  • I had the prestige disk put in. I am a horrible golfer but do enjoy playing. I did try to lightly swing my driver last week and felt a pain to the left of my spine in my neck so I think it might be a while before I am playing again. The doctor did not give me any specifics (yet) other than no snow skiing this year. I have a follow up appt on Wednesday so I plan to ask him then.

When is your wife having the surgery? Tell her not to sweat it. Good luck!
  • Hi :)

I just had the prestige disk done C5-6 on 2/5. So 1 week and 3 days roughly. I am a 33yr old female and was in the hospital only one night. I only had a rough time due to the anesthesia but I was fine in the morning. Besides my scar(which is not bad) you would not know I had cervical surgery. I am only taking Tylenol (3X a day at first) now only 1x (at night). I was very bad on my right side. I could not brush my hair, teeth, or even get dressed. It was so bad when it first started my husband rushed me to the hospital. The pain is now gone. I do get some soreness in my neck, shoulders, and index finger but it is minimal and mainly at night. It really does get better every day and at the rate it is going I have a feeling I will be 100% pain free soon. I am sure I will not be taking any Tylenol by next week. I was absolutely terrified so I know how your wife feels. If she has any questions feel free to message me. I wish you both the best.

• Hopefully, you will be able to change your name to
    Not-So Wicked Pain soon...

Last week was a rough week for both of us. An Administrative Assistant from the Surgeons Office (I didn't find out who had called until the next day)called my wife while I was at work and said, "Your insurance will not cover the surgery"; my wife became frantic, crying hysterically and did not even find out who it was that called her, all she could remember was it won't be covered and she said you need to talk with my husband and our lawyer, then hung up and called me at work.

I could barely understand her, she was so upset. I tried to calm her down on the phone, but she was a crying, sobbing mess. My heart felt crushed and I couldn't get home for two hours. When I did get home she was curled up in a ball, knees to chest trembling and still crying. I helped her into bed and just held her tight; she didn't speak for nearly an hour. Finally, she said she loved me and I her. I tried to ask if she knew who had called and she did not know; she said she blanked out!

I took the following day off and after calling the No-Fault Carrier (Geico) and all her doctors and our lawyer I got my answer at 4:57P.M. which was stated above. Apparently, this new assistant has been making phone calls directly to patients without getting all the facts. The lawyer was no help, which has been the case for two years and our claims handler and primary doctors assistant were most helpful.

Her surgery is scheduled for March 16, 2009. She is very releived. I am very nervous. She too is young and the entire ordeal has been trying to say the least. My wife was T-Boned by a huge Suburban Truck while turning into our own driveway on 2-20-07. The driver of the truck admitted fault, as there were two witnesses that he passed crossing a double yellow line at over 60 miles an hour. The sheriff must have known the guy because he would not issue any ticket, even though we had the names, addresses and phone numbers of the stopped cars drivers that were waiting for my wife to turn into the driveway.

Sorry this is so long, but I find it emotionally satisfying writing about the incident. I have kept a journal documenting all stages of treatment, correspondents, and pictures throughout. Hopefully, she will get back to normal and our lawyer gets us any justice we deserve.

If anyone has any good advice about dealing with the lawyer regarding a similar case, I would love to hear about your experience.

Take care Not-So- Wicked.

• Bev,

I am glad to hear you are doing well. Please post an update every month or when you notice any significant change in progress.

Thanks Again,

P.S. The surgery is for my wife and it is scheduled 3-16-09