Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what to expect during first post-op visit

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have my first post-op NS visit this Tuesday which will be 3 weeks after my L4-L5 fusion. Does anybody know what I may expect to happen during this visit? I have been wearing a brace and seem to be doing okay...supposed to start PT at 6 weeks..thanks for any info and I hope everybody is having a decent weekend!

• about PT, driving, restriction etc.
    Your Dr may order a CT or Xray as well to check for alignment.
    Check about how long to wear the brace and when can you go back to work.
    Oh and any meds you are taking.
    All the best for Tuesday
    Blessings Sara

• If you have stitches (staples) they may remove them. In any case, you will probably have an x-ray, and the surgeon will look at your incision, discuss your meds, and any concerns you may have. This is a good opportunity to pose all your questions, regardless how insignificant they may seem. I kept a list with all my questions and wrote them down on an index card, and asked every one of them. Make sure you find out what is it that you can or can't do. When can you start driving, going to PT, how much should you walk, etc? Ask anything and everything that worries you. Finally ask when should you go back next.

Good luck with your visit!

• and he said my scar looked really good...said that I did not have to wear my brace anymore but keep it on hand for times that I may want extra support...can do "abbreviated" bending now and I'll know it when it's too much...keep from twisting still, though...continue to become more active during day and keep increasing walking (at about 1 mile now)...sex okay now with whatever positions are comfortable...keep with the bone stimulator at 1/2 hour per day

next visit will be 3 weeks from today (which is 6 weeks out from surgery) for my first x-rays and PT Rx to start that...I'll get my muscle relaxer (Robaxin) Rx refilled before PT starts

my nerve pain in right leg has all but disappeared, thank God and still have off and on muscle spasms which he says is normal and expected...so evidently I'm on track and hoping for the beginnings of some fusion at 6 weeks

thanks for the support and advice everybody!
  • Sounds like you are right on track. Twisting seems to be a bigger challenge than I ever expected, I don't know why, but not surprising that's the one to keep an eye on. Keep us posted on your progress :)))