Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

strange lump in buttox tissue

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have a strange, new development and am not sure if it is related to my surgery or not. I am 10 months out from a posterior lumbar fusion L3-S1 with hardware. I have been doing quite well. I have been noticing that my left buttox has been taking on a change in shape. There is an exagerated rounding at the fullest portion of the butt and then it goes back in like normal. That has been going on for some time. More recently, I have noticed a thickening under the skin in that area. And this week I spiked a fever (again, not sure if it is related) was very dizzy, and yesterday noticed a very hard mass, about the size of a large walnut shell sitting in this area. It has also become painfull. It is somewhat warm to the touch but not red. It is very deep within the tissue if my butt cheek, and you can see that the exterior of the butt cheek is deformed by this. I know this sounds rather comical and embarrasing to describe, but in all honestly, I am growing more and more concerned. The area of my lower back feels like it is being pulled a bit by this. Any thoughts, similar situations???? Do I call my NS or my PCP? Thanks


  • I would call your NS and see what they think about it. Do you still have a fever? I understand why you are concerned, that needs to be looked at.
    Let us know how you are doing and what it turns out to be. Get it check right away, if it is an infection, you need to be treated immediatley.
    Take care.
  • Yea, Phasti, I agree that any time there is something unexplained and quite sudden like that, it is best to get it checked. Call the NS's office asap, but if they don't respond in a timely fashion, go and see your PCP. The important thing is to evaluate what is going on. It may not be serious but it does not sound normal, so it should be investigated.

    Good luck, and let us know about the outcome.

  • I had a friend with what you describe. The PCP sent him to a surgeon. It turned out to be a boil/abscess. It was removed and he is good as new now.

    Please go to the doctor.

    Let us know how you do.

  • It could be just a boil. Also, some staph bacteria can just hang out for a year or so with your hardware until for some reason it is triggered to go for a live infection. Either way, I'd start out by calling your surgeon. If you cannot be seen by him in a reasonable amount of time, call you PCP because I really think you should be looked at. Could be something as simple as popping it with a needle and then getting some oral antibiotics.

    If it was up by your butt crack(sorry for the really technical medical terms!), I'd think it was a pilonidal cyst.

    If it is a boil, a doctor may tell you to soak it in warm water or get a washcloth wet and pop it into the microwave then apply to boil. This helps bring it to a "head." But please, make sure first it is a boil. Call you doctor.

  • I'd get it checked out asap.

  • My NS's office was not one bit interested in my lump. They said it was far too long since my surgery to have anything to do with it, call my PCP. This struck me as quite cold and callous. So, I called my PCP and saw her today. She did not like the way it looked or felt and sent me for a STAT CT scan. The report came back inconclusive. But appears to be something liquid-like with a linear -like object inside of it. They asked if I had a pain pump and perhaps something had broken off and remained inside of me. No pain pump. Now I wonder if it is part of my hardware. I need to get in to a general surgeon as soon as I can to have it evaluated and most likely removed. And I was doing so well....
  • Wow, that is bizarre! Do they think the object is metal? Did you have minimally invasive surgery or open? I was thinking broken guide wire that migrated? or who knows? Let us know what happens. >:D< Cali-Sue
Sign In or Register to comment.