Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4 wheeled walker?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone used the 4 wheeled walker after surgery? My doctor wrote me a rx for one & I just picked it up. I don't know how often I'll be going out after surgery, time will tell.

My Doc. wants me to use this even now if I plan to go anywhere that involves much walking. It has a seat on it which is nice LOL. I just never thought I'd have to use one of these at my age. kwim.

I'm sure I'll be very happy I have this after surgery.

Have a great day.

• Janis,

I used a 4 wheeled walker, Rollaider I believe after each of my back surgeries. The seat on it was a Godsend when I went food shopping or had to wait in line. I used it for most of my last year as a high school principal. It was the only way I could get around before my fusion. The kids at school had a lot of fun with me and my walker. I used it for a month or so after my fusion. I donated it to a nursing home when I no longer needed it.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • I know I'll be happy to have this walker after surgery. I at this time don't go anywhere that requires a lot of walking, standing etc. unless it's my normal walking routine.
    I'm really hoping that this surgery helps, so I can go out & do things again & basically have a life!

The sales lady at the medical supply store, told me to hold onto it. Most Insurances won't pay for a second walker in a lifetime.

Just a word of advice I guess.

Thanks again, Janis
  • Hi Janis,
    Nice to meet you. I have a 4 wheel walker, I just hate useing it. It is a great thing to have though. I use mine all the time in the house. I can't manuver it myself to put it in the car, too heavy for me. I learned AFTER I got it, that I should have got one with the Bigger wheels on it, it goes over bumps and things better. Smaller ones like mine hit things like its a road block. Oh well, I guess you can buy just the wheels thoughh, maybe someother time
    I have ms, and I go from cane to walker all the time. I LOVE having the seat! But I have hard time getting over (What I look like) Hate looking like a 90 yr old at 48! But ya do what ya gotta to get through. I learned hard.
    But in the summer at least I can get out side and around the yard a little bit. I know what ya mean about having some kind of life.
    I find it interesting though that Ins only lets ya have one in lifetime, Im surprised, no one even told me about that.
    Well, good luck with all dear, hope to talk again soon. When is your surg scheduled? Take care..... :H
  • I did get the walker with the "bigger wheels". The sales girl was very informative & helped out a lot. Mine has the seat, bigger wheels, brakes & it's blue LOL.

I have a funny story about my walker, I e-mail my sis-in-law to let her know I picked up my new wheels. I told her it even has a seat & brakes. I also told her I wanted a pink one & the sale's lady checked her computer, but no luck with a pink one, so I settled with the blue one...

LOL well she wrote me back thinking I bought a NEW car! :) I guess you had to be reading the e-mail to get the just of it. It was funny though. She wanted to know what kind I got & wanted me to send pictures...

Sorry to be babbling so much but I had to tell my walker story. I never thought I'd have to use one at 47 but that's ok if it helps me then it's a good thing, right?

I'm so glad I found this site & can see there are some nice people here.

Thanks, Janis

• Oh yes - I used it for almost 4 months. I was initially embarrassed but my fear of falling was greater. I got up to walking almost 2 miles a day with it. I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to get rid if it. Once I was cleared to get in the pool, walking in the water really helped the balance.
  • Hey Janis, thats funny. Wasn't she wondering why you bothered to tell her it had a seat and breaks?? LOL! Too cute.
    Delaware girl is right on about the fear of falling is much greater than the embarrasing feelings. And you got a BLUE one??? Me too...we can be twin wheelers! Hahaha:)
    I too never thought I would have one at 48, have had it 3 years now. I get better for a while and can go back to the cane, but then miss my seat!! BUT...others need tools to do thier work, we just need a few tools to get through the ruff times. It's just another tool, a nessesary one.
    Sorry you couldn't get the pink one...maybe buy some spray paint!!!! Hey if we're gonna stand out a little, might as well make the best of it right?! I have seen some really cool things and paint jobs people have done with their walkers and canes!
    You have come to the best place to find understanding, comforting , encouraging people. We get it and we give it. Great bunch of people. See ya round the track! Maybe then we can race our wheels! B) .~ame~
  • My sister-in-law & I goof around all the time, so I imagine she just thought I was joking about {it having a seat & brakes}. LOL.

Anyway I thought why not see if I can get a pink walker, like you said if we have to "stand out" anyway we might as well be in style or add a lil bling to the situation. :)

I can see this site has some great people & a great deal of info. I'll be reading as mush as I can.

Be well, Janis

• Mine is purple, has a seat, a basket and brakes!! When I have to use it, I'm glad I have one like that. It sure has saved me in the back of large stores!!

• Hi Cheri,

I think we have the same walker LOL. I haven't used it yet, but I don't go anywhere really. Not where I'm walking long distances anyway.

It's winter time in these parts & very icy & snowy. I tend to stay home a lot. Or if I go somewhere it's with my hubby. He helps with parking close to wherever we are going etc.

I am so bummed, just found out my hospital doesn't have wireless internet access. :(

I don't know how I'm going to deal with that?

• Dont worry too much about internet. I took my laptop and never used it. Too sleepy from drugs and couldnt concentrate on tv let alone internet. You will be ready for it when you get home. I was in from Thurs to Tues and didnt miss it. Good Luck.
  • I never thought I would be using a walker either, although I am 61, I think ofmyself much younger. I had L5/S1 fusion in dec/07 and have been on walker since then,even used it at work until they forced me to quit. I can get around quite well. Hopefully the next 2 surgeries I will be having will fix the problem and I can walk again.
    Good Luck to all of you.
  • When my friend got her walker she zoomed around with it in the mall I can't keep up. She said it was great and helped her lose weight because of her weakness she had a pacemaker and would sit down quite often with being short of breath. But when she lost the weight she could go so fast I was running! Maybe there's a computer on the floor you'll be on Janis. Anyways, take care. Charry
    P.S. So what I meant to say you'll be able to get around especially walking without the fear of falling. I've used a cane for about 8 months now and I get alot of support for the sore leg.
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • My last hospitalization (non-back surgery), I had an IPhone, which uses 3G to access the Internet. I LOVED it!! I was in for 10 days total and I would have gone insane without it. lol