Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

percutaneous discectomy?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Lower Back Pain
Has anyone here had a percutaneous discectomy? In particular, the version where the stryker dekompressor is used? My doctor seem to think thats the best choice for my contained L4/L5 herniation. I'd like to hear from a few who have actually had this procedure to see what I might expect.

I curious as to what the recovery period is like (duration and how restricted you really are) as well as the longer term outcome.

I'm 39, male, and other than this back issue I am quite athletic (6' and 150 lbs, and fit) and in excellent health. But... not being able to bend at the waist is a real pain (literally).

• I have had this done. I am totally different than you are though so it would be hard to compare. I had mine in Dec. 07 and was 44, overweight and out of shape. But, I have been going to my doc for 4 years now and have met lots of folks that have had PLDD. Most of them including myself had a longer recovery time than what they lead you to believe. My doc tells everyone that they can be back to sedentary type work in 10 days and that is not usually the case. I was not able to bend, lift, twist or raise my right leg for about 4 months. My discectomy was radical meaning that most of my disc was removed. Everyone is so different in their recovery time that it would be impossible to expect your situation to be exactly the same as anyone else. I have also met a few people that got immediate relief and felt great immediately after surgery. My advice would be to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. I was totally unprepared for my recovery and it made it much more difficult. Good luck to you and please keep us posted.
  • I had the Dekompressor procedure done last Saturday, and I was also led to believe it would be a miracle cure and I would be back to work, "no problem" in 3 days. Since then, I've been in much more pain than before, with no relief of the original symptoms. I actually found this forum to see who else has had this done and if they were also promised (and hopefully got) miraculous results.

I'm still at the beginning of my recovery, so I'm hopeful. But it is good just to hear a more realistic appraisal of what I might be in for.

Without that, it's too easy to get paranoid.

There is very little info available about the dekompressor. Perhaps I'll start a thread and document my own recovery there, so there is a discussion for people like me and others who've had different experiences.
  • My PT doc on base told me about researching stuff like this on WWW.GOOGLESCHOLAR.COM There is allot of medical stuff on there that does not show up on regular google. Just a different avenue to try. Hope it helps.

This discussion has been closed.