Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS pain coverage issues

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Pain Management
I am having some issues with my perm scs. I have not found anything really similar on the forums, so just wanted to see if any one else can relate.
I have the Medtronic Restore Ultra, placed at T11-12 for lower back pain. I have had it since 7/10/08, I get the relief in the legs great for the leg pain, but it doesnt go into my back at all, so all of the lower back pain is still there. Dr says that SCS is more for leg pain and not really for the back pain. I guess I missed that information before I decided to get the scs. I have also found that, although it takes care of the leg pain, I think it kind of aggrivates the lower back pain, like right in the lumbar area. Has anyone experienced this? I have had 2 surgeries since the implant to adjust the batter pack, so I have alot invested in the scs and do not want to give up.
Any advise or experience to share would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!!

• I have only tried an SCS trial which ended abruptly, so I don't have this experience. However I always wondered the same thing. What if the back and leg pain are equal? I don't know if there is a particular model that is designed to cover both areas, but I'm sure someone here knows about it. I hope there's is a solution for you and that you get to keep the SCS.
  • I have an SCS and like you, I have great coverage in my legs but not so much in the back. I don't remember my doc telling me that bit of information either. I feel the tingling from half way up my ribs to the bottom of my feet. What I have discovered is that the scs helps my back pain more than I give it credit for. When I have it turned down pretty low, I notice that my back hurts more. It's not great, but it does help a bit.
  • Doctors aren't real positive on all the ways an SCS helps an individual. That's one of the big reasons for doing a trial first.

Have you spoken to your rep about this? One thing that I have found with mine, is that depending on how the leads are configured to fire, it can cause pain in my neck and shoulders while at the same time working on the radicular pain.

Have you experimented with running your SCS at a lower setting to see if it is causing the pain? Do you have the "targetmystim" capability activated with your programmer? If so, then possibly decreasing the pulse width will help. I thought I was developing a throat problem a few months ago and found out that it was my SCS creating it. I reduced the pulse width and it took the problem out of my throat.

I highly recommend talking to your rep about this, to see if there's anyway to reconfigure your SCS programming to keep it from aggravating your lower back pain.

It did take a bit for my rep to believe me when I told him that the way the leads were configured, caused pain. After a little convincing he adjusted the firing pattern and things were rocking and rolling great.

• I don't want to steal this thread, but this info is invaluable to me. I go in on Wednesday to do the psych eval for a SCS. Having info like this now means I won't be so lost should I encounter some issues should I make it thru to the permanent model. I am mostly afraid I will be turned down, seconded by the fear that my pain clinic will screw things up and I will have to fight to get to the trial.
    Then I worry that it will not work.
    Is it any wonder people think I'm grouchy and detached? I have enough issues with the pain, fighting to get treatment only adds to the stress!

Please keep the info coming!
    Thank you!
  • Have gotten reprogrammed 3 or 4 times and I won't hesitate to call again if I feel something is off. I love my programmer and she assured me that is her job and to call her anytime, so I do (and will! lol).

I have the ANS/St. Jude Eon Mini and it's been 3 weeks today. I'm still waiting for the leads to scar down.

I had it turned quite high at first and lately, due to some pretty severe undiagnosed nausea, I have it turned really low. I can't even feel it unless I am laying flat on my back. But it is covering the nerve pain fairly well!! I turn it off every now and then to remind myself just how much it is helping. (I have other things going on with me, like nausea and hives since I left the hospital.)

I have had some back pain, which is uncommon for me, but it is because I'm doing so much more than I have in 3 years!! I know I have some conditioning to be "normal" again. I don't find that the SCS covers my back pain at all, and I have 2 leads with 16 nodes, and that is supposed to increase the possibility of back pain coverage. My back pain, though, is more something I will wake up with and it is gone in an hour once I get moving.

I was lucky in that 2 neurosurgeons explained to me that the SCS isn't the best for back pain and in fact, had I not had horrible radiating nerve pain, neither doc would have considered the SCS for me. But some people do report getting back pain relief. My current doc had told me if I had more back pain with the nerve pain, he would have implanted the Advanced Bionics brand, as he has had more success with that covering back pain.

My leads are apparently as low as they can go before they will be out of the epidural space, so I'm not sure what that means? lol But that is where it feels 'right' to get the buzzing right where I want it.

When I have moments of time when my nerve pain breaks through, I try to readjust my position knowing my leads haven't scarred down yet.

Being able to realize and keep reminding myself that I can get in that car and go to the mall or to a restaurant and that if my nerve flares, I can turn the SCS up higher if needed. It seems like it shouldn't be that hard to remember!!

Jeni, honestly, I would call my programmer and talk to him/her and get some new programs. There are just so many options, so many combinations of nodes they can turn on - I wonder if you just don't have the right combination yet?

Good luck!!

• I agree with maybe reprogramming, have you had frequent tweaks I call them? Have they tried to move the lead up alittle to see if they could find the back? I'm sure when they put it in they moved all the way down and found the best spot for you but just a thought. Also I had a different programmer after the perm placement and asked for the guy I had for the trial and its a huge difference.

Cheri mentioned Advanced Bionics and thats what I have, the Precision Plus model which is designed to cover multiple areas even at 1 time. I have debilitating leg pain which was my go ahead to get it but also back pain so my pain mgmt doc went w/this one. He uses another brand too depending on the patient he said. I didn't realize how much my back hurt as I guess my brain was so preoccupied w/my leg.

I go in for a revision this Fri to move the paddle lower(mine is too high and I'm getting an organ beating) so hopefully it will be even better after that. I am reminded quickly when it's off how bad it is in a hurry. I hope Fri we'll get it right and I can start working on those back muscles that aren't used to doing much like Cheri said :)The doc said if we go very much lower I could lose my back as we are going in to try and find more of my leg and the coverage I'm getting now is from the very bottom of the paddle so there is lots of room and hopefully we'll get more contacts that can be used....it's a long story! "C" & Cheri & the other Charry were so supportive after I had mine done too high, so thanks again guys!!

Jeni we're all here for you too, I wouldn't give up either ever. I'm not giving mine up for anything! It has allowed me to lay normal on my side and what a difference overall so keep working with it and you'll find where you want to be I know it's frustrating believe me but I think worth it no matter what.

Keep the faith and take care
  • I agree with looking at your programming and trying to tweak it a bit.

I have the Restore Ultra with a paddle lead at T7/T8 and the program group I use most often covers everything from my bra line to the bottoms of my feet, with no problems.

Using TargetMyStim, I can make the 4th program in that group go into my shoulders and down my arms too, and I don't even have pain in those areas. :))(
  • The SCS is for nerve pain. The PAIN PUMP is for what is considered "Mechanical Back Pain", which basically means the pain is in the bone itself, not so much the muscles, ligaments or nerves that come from the back.

If what you are having is "mechanical" back pain, the SCS may not address that. If the pain in your legs is better, than the SCS is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

I had a pinched nerve (due to herniation) a few years ago. Once I had surgery to get that disc off the nerve, I felt better immediately. As soon as I woke up in Recovery - that's how quickly I felt the difference.

HOWEVER, I still have other back issues. The surgery I had was not supposed to fix that - just the nerve impingement. So, the surgery is considered a success in that there is no more nerve impingement - even t hough I still have back pain... Problem was, I waited too long to have the surgery (thinking it'd get better) and have permanent nerve damage as a result of my stubbornness (or ignorance to how these things actually work). But then again, I am no doctor, nor do I have an SCS so really should not be commenting at all. But, I thought this information could be helpful for someone else if not for you.... ?

I hope this helps? If not, I'm sorry. But either way, I do hope you get some relief! and SOON!

• I know u posted about this a while back I am about to under go the psych eval before the trial period for the SCS.. One of the things I did ask my PM doc was what should I expect the SCS to help control. He told me it was really meant to help control the leg pain, and not so much the daily back pain. I know it seems like a large step for some pain relief but I'm willing to try just about anything, even if it can help me stand a little longer and maybe be able to do the dishes I'm all for it... But I hope my little bit of info helps.. u might have already figured this out by now... but as far as I know it's tended to help reduce the leg pain more than anything..
  • OK, so I've had two SCS trials at two different hospitals two different brands at two different times in my life. First doc with Medtronic told me it would help back pain great! Wrong. Second doc who used Boston Scientific told me it for nerve pain and any benefit I get for back was just bonus.

I just recently did the Boston Scientifc trial and get perm in August. I like the doc and the rep spent so much time with me. Even though I only had the trial, I had a "duh" moment and figured something out. My back hurt so bad during the trial and immediately after. Well, it hurts bad at first from the insertion, I know, but my "duh" moment: I realized that for so long my legs had been my limiting factor and since they felt better, I actually was doing more and flaring up my back. No wonder my back hurt so much later! My nerve pain had always stopped my from doing much, so my back wasn't used to being the bad guy so much. When I got nerve help, I crammed in all kinds of activities because my legs felt so much better and whammo my back got worse.

Just my two cents worth after trial. My rep is very friendly and kept reminding me that once perm is in, he would work with me to try and tweak the thing as much as possible and may take several tweakings. Realistically, I do expect to still be on some meds for my back but hopefully a lot less.

Good luck, please keep posting as I am very interested in your experience!!!!
  • I know some folks have good and bad experiences with different brands and different docs and different reps. I don't think it is brand specific, but more doc and rep specific. The doc that did my SCS, uses several different brands and works with numerous different reps, even different reps from the same company.

I did my homework and listened to what the doc and rep had to say and I went in with the expectation that I might get help with the nerve pain and that was it. Well the nervous system is a weird and not really fully understood thing. So depending on the individual, their back or neck or head pain may or may not be due to a problem with the nerves or not. So many times, people have mechanical issues brought on by nerves that create muscle spasms and it cascades from there.

I have cervical dystonia and when I shut off my SCS, it doesn't take but just a few minutes before my neck starts trying to twist my head around. (no Linda Blair jokes) :-) This just caught everyone by surprise, because the SCS isn't supposed to really help with this sort of thing. My point is, no one really knows just exactly how much an SCS will or won't help, until it's in and functioning for a while. Even the trial isn't enough to tell just exactly how much an SCS will or won't help.

So if you have a "successful trial", you may be surprised at the fringe benefits the SCS provides a little ways down the road. I was and I am very grateful for it.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Hi jeni333,
    I have exactly the same as you except mine is ANS unit. I got it put in in 12-05
    I have heard about new Leads by ANS called Tripole 16C. I'm going to my p.m. Doc. And try to get information and another X-ray or cat scan to see if there are any problems with the unit, the leads, or anymore damage. You know M.R.I. Is out.
    If I can't get any kind of good feedback. I'm going to have them pull it out. Even though I'm afraid to have any kind of surgery at this point. I think it's causing more pain than its curing!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
    I had more success with my trial, than I did with the permanent. Go figure! And I've had more adjustments and tweaks than I care to try to count!
    Good luck, Jim
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • just discussed this with my programmer last week. When I had the SCS permanent and trial, I only had radiating nerve pain. I honestly reported no back pain, BUT I was reclined 23 hours a day, unable to do much of anything.

Now that I've had the SCS for 6 months, I have quite a bit of back pain and lately, it has increased. I met up with her to discuss this and see if she could tweak my programs to help. We talked a LONG time. Here is what I learned.

Leads have to be up around T-9 to get any real hope of back pain relief, and this only helps if the back pain is the result of Post-Laminectomy syndrome, which is nerve pain. Any mechanical/muscle back pain will NOT be helped by the SCS unless by pure accident/luck. The SCS is designed to block nerve impulses, to "trick" the brain/nerves.

Like ernurse, I realized I only have back pain because I am doing so so so much, which is such a blessing. The programmer talked to my PM doc and they are trying me on a new muscle relaxer to see if this will help calm down my back. (I used to take Soma, which was amazing pain relief, but my clinic discontinued prescribing it. We have not found something yet that works as well.)

My leads (both) are down almost out of the epidural space and are way too low to have any hope of residual back pain relief. And I am ok with that, because I can just calm myself down, sit for a few days, and my back feels better.

Before the SCS? I had 24/7 burning,searing nerve pain that never went away, never calmed down, never lessened. I didn't want to live most days. Even if I could go back to day one of the trial KNOWING that I would never get back pain relief BUT I would have greatly increased back pain, I would do this all over again. There is nothing like the relief I get from the radiating nerve pain. And if I turn the SCS off, I get pain again in minutes. Literally minutes.

I talked to my programmer about "Field Stimulation", which I recently read about. This is where they take the SCS leads and put them directly on the muscles/nerves that hurt. She said there is great controversy, because if the SCS works by blocking pain signals in the spinal canal, then how does putting them directly on muscles/nerves help? She said they are lacking a scientific explanation for why patients are receiving relief from "field stim",when the whole point of SCS is the spinal canal route. But the fact remains that patients ARE reporting great relief with field stim.

She said that since my leads are SO low, much lower than normal and are at the end of the spinal canal, I might be getting some "field stim" as my leads are close to the S1 nerve coming out of the spinal canal. I found that very interesting. I refused to leave the operating table until I buzzed exactly where I hurt and highly recommend everyone do that. Do not let the doctor tell you that the programmer has magic power and can make you buzz somewhere other than where you are buzzing at the placement. (That happened during my trial.)

So, if my back pain is ever determined to be nerve related/failed laminectomy syndrome, I will be looking at a second SCS, implanted higher, to try to address that NERVE back pain. One must determine if their back pain is muscular or not. If you wake up stiff and in pain, but get better during the day, she said that is muscular pain and will not be helped.

I definitely recommend talking in depth with your programmer. And I am speechless your doctor did NOT tell you this is for radiating nerve pain and not back pain. Again, some patients do get relief, but it is bonus/accident/luck.

Meydey, for people who have 50/50 back/nerve pain, even for me I would choose the SCS. Getting my 24/7 burning nerve pain removed has been AMAZING. My life is entirely different......and I am so thankful. I choose to deal with the back pain, because it is a result of the great blessing of the SCS. I had no back pain when I couldn't move. It's a give and take I treasure.

Have you turned off your SCS for a few days? That will help you decide if the SCS is worth it or not. For me, it just takes a few minutes, for some people do it for a few days. It changes their outlook entirely more often than not.

Take care,

• No matter what your condition it seems that getting proper treatment is key. The SCS will only do so much, most of that nerve pain related. Some people do get relief from things the SCS should not help them with. Those people are blessed.

The rest of us, well we have to struggle through a rat nest of doctors and ill fitting treatments, leading to confusion and lack of proper care....

Wow, someone took a bitter pill this morning.

My SCs is like what I see the majority of people say. It works on the nerve pain, the mechanical, muscular problems go untouched. My PCP is not help at all right now. My PM has mysteriously been moved by my insurance carrier to "out of network" requiring me to get approval before I can go in to see him about ANYTHING.

This leaves me with back pain, shoulder pain that sometimes is covered by my SCS, sometime not, and a major case of depression.

I don't regret the choice of going forward with the SCS, I had no other options in front of me. I do regret not insisting on one more MRI of my shoulder to make sure nothing had changed since surgery. I do plan on talking to my PCP and insurance carrier about WHAT THE $#!^ I am supposed to do about proper PM care. I already have an appt with my shrink...
  • I think people (including SCS reps) tend to forget that regardless of the source, pain is nothing more than an electrical impulse - biologically speaking - and that all pain impulses are transmitted to the brain for processing by way of nerves.

Because all pain impulses travel on nerves, the SCS has the ability to scramble pain from any source, if sufficient levels of stimulation can reach the specific nerve(s) through which the impulses are traveling. For that reason, coverage is not only impacted by the vertical level of the lead placement, but also by the depth of stimulation.

I think people also have a tendency to forget that the spinal cord is actually a bundle of individual nerves, much like a handful of dry spaghetti, not a single object. If the stimulation can't penetrate deep enough to reach the nerves toward the center/back of the bundle, then a person won't have effective "scrambling" of the pain signals traveling on those nerves.

Recent research shows that people with low back/trunk pain that have implants with paddle leads (and more specifically, tripolar leads) have better coverage of low back/trunk pain, because the stimulation penetrates deeper into the spinal cord.

This is where having an experienced physician comes into play the most - and also where recognizing the "most experienced" physician isn't necessarily based on the number of SCS implants a doctor has done. It's also where having an experienced programmer can improve things dramatically.

• Nicely stated. People tend to forget that signals to the brain can and are quite frequently "interfered with" in order to block pain signal transmission. For instance, if someone's hand starts to hurt, one of the first things that that person will do without thinking, is rub the hand. In essence they are blocking some pain signal transmission, by introducing a signal of a different type in the same general location. It's the same as when a dog licks their paw when it is hurt. If a person gets a headache (a normal type headache not a migraine), they tend to rub their head without even thinking about it. It's all a natural way to trick the brain to reduce the amount of pain it is sensing.

You're right about the doc who does the implant. That doc needs to understand what is going on more so than just having experience placing the units and leads.

And not all reps are alike and definitely not all reps understand how to program for different conditions.

• I would recommend a doctor who also does research into pain and pain management as a start to that doc "understanding" what is going on with pain in general.

It seems too many docs are jumping on the band wagon, learning how to install an SCS percutaneous lead and trying to get more and more patients to try it. And then if that patient encounters a rep/programmer with less than stellar programming abilities, it can be sad indeed. I know every few months, my rep goes off for a week at a time for more training but I'm not sure what is "normal" for the average rep. This could be, I don't know.

I don't believe there is anything we can personally do to educate any certain doctor. What we must do is research and find the best doc we can find.

Take care,

• As Cheri pointed out, there are many docs who are dabbling in the implant realm these days, but not full time and not fully aware of what they are really doing. The pain clinic I go to is staffed by several docs who are there running the department while others rotate through for the hands on experience.

I wouldn't want a doc with just a clinical "stick and go" frame of experience conducting my trial and especially doing the permanent implant. While my PM doc is not a full time neurosurgeon, he participates in a lot of neurosurgery in order to better understand the whys and hows of of the spine and it's complications. He really strives to understand the situation surrounding each of his patients and how his action or inaction can and does effect their lives. He cares.

Those are qualities I feel a doc should have if doing any sort of procedure on me. Knowledge, experience, compassion and determination. Without that, forget it!

Also humility. The doc needs to be humble enough to ask for assistance if required.

The doc also needs to have a good relationship with the company reps. Without that, the reps don't want to hang around very long and that's when things get rushed.

The relationship between my PM doc and rep is outstanding and I know I benefit greatly from it!

I hope this makes sense. I'm exhausted and heading off to bed. I'll check back in the morning and see if this helps explain my comments better.

• C, would you please elucidate what we should expect our doctor to understand?
  • Cheri and C

Thanks for your description of the ideal SCS doctor. I am not sure I can find a doctor to fill all the ideal traits, but maybe one will come close.

to investigate further with the surgeon who put my scs in. to see if there is a lead problem. Or if the new ans leads would work for me. At least I will look at all the possibilities and x ray, scans and so forth on thurs. 10/24 before I take it out.
    Wish me luck. I have "white coat syndrome" big time!!!
    Scared to death, Jim :SS
  • Your ANS rep can run a diagnostic test on your device. It will take 5 minutes. It will tell him/her whether there is a problem with the leads or the IPG or if there is an unusual amount of scar tissue making programing difficult. Perhaps you could see your programmer before 10/24 and then you'll have that information when you see the surgeon. Susan.
  • I spoke with my SCS Rep. today...this was my first programming after the surgery. She was so nice and took her time in making sure I was comfortable and that it covered the area I need covered. She told me there are several reasons for the change in stimulation...in my case it is the amount of swelling after the surgery...I was assured that this would get better and that tweaking wouldn't be needed every week and over time will become less and less. However she told me that over time your body will preceive pain differently and tweaking needs to be done. I had paddle leads placed and she told me they have so many different ways to program with these leads. They are not using the tip or base of my lead just the center and as she moved through them I felt coverage from the bottom of my foot to the back of my neck. It took a while to fine tune my area...and at one point had a spot as small as a quarter that was being stimulated. I thought it was amazing that they can fine tune this down to an area that small. I am thankful and lucky that I have the doctor and Rep. that I do...as I think they make a good team. They work together and fill each other in on what is going on. I think if you talk to your Rep. they will be able to do something to help you or lead you in the right direction.
    I made some kind of a feeble attempt to hook up with ans rep. (she's on maternity leave and probably not coming back) which is probably a good thing, She told me that I was wired unlike any human she had ever seen. But promised me she would figure it out no matter what it took. Then after countless tweaks and tweaks. She finally said "well they just don't work on everybody" And kind of left the ball in my court. She looks just like my daughter and is a sweet as can be. So I just didn't have the will to work her the same as I would have anyone else.
    At the time I had this scs done I had a different pm Dr. and I was in a sponsored trial, 5 years i think. So I always figured I would get the best of treatment. But my old pm Dr. dropped the study mid way without even notifying me. After much procrastination on my part. I finally got a hold of an other Dr. in the practice. And he said he would handle everything and call me in 2 weeks. It's been several mos. and I haven't heard from them. I had finally told my current pm that I would like to see my surgeon to go over any possibilities I might have.When I got the mri before the scs surgery and the surgeon said my L-1 and L-2 were degenerative and bulging. But he couldn't get through the scar tissue until FDA approved a new procedure and I didn't want anymore surgeries anyway, Now I've had a x ray for something else and the Dr. that read it or transcribed it said T-12 and T-11 were bulging.
    So that is pretty much the long version of this appointment. I would like to know exactly what is wrong at this time and what my options are.
    But I have "white coat syndrome" and I'm scared to death!!! So I'll go puke and head out. I think I've shanghaied someone else's thread. I'm sorry.
    Good luck, Jim :SS :jawdrop: :sick:
  • Just curious....how did you go about looking for a doctor who did research on stimulators or pain when searching for a surgeon to impant your SCS? Did you look at the quality of the research? Was it important where this research was published? I've been rumminating on this the past few days. Insisting on a doc who regularly publishes and maintains a clinical practice is quite a lofty requirement. How did you do it? Susan.
  • Depending on where youlive, Mayo Clinic is an excellent source for SCS. They can put you in contact with Drs in your area that are experienced in this area. My PM sent me to Mayo to get a second opinion before she would run a trial on me.
  • On where you live and insurance coverages some of us have little choice.

I could go to the local incoverage guy that I did not much like and did not do meds. Or travel to downtown Pittsburg, Pa. Out of network, high co-pays and 2.5 hour drive on a traffic free day. I wanted to go to Pittsburgh.

My wife begged me to let the PM here in coverage area do it as she was afraid the drives and such would be a mess. I relented and went here.

For the final kick in the pants...My in town PM has been removed from in network coverage by my insurance and I have to get preapproval before I can see him! Nothing like a swift kick in *** when you are down, huh!
  • I had the Medtronics intalled last March. Since then new area of my back has slowly become a problem.
    The two wires come out of my spine at L5. I am very thin,the wires clearly visible through the skin. Over the last three months the soreness in the area of the wires has increased. In the morning when waking up my lower back is very stiff and sore.Taking a bunch of Advil along with a hot shower loosens my lower back in about an hour. The area has become very sensitive,just having the charger in place is painful. Even though I like the device itself, the new soreness/tenderness is enough for me to debate having it removed.
    Has anyone experienced this?
  • How long has it been since you saw your doc or rep? Have you brought to their attention the soreness and sensitivity that has developed? Do you sleep on your back or on your side? I know for me that if I sleep on my back, it's a guaranteed way to irritate the anchors and IPG pocket. A little anti-inflam medicine calms it right down though.

If you are having that much soreness and sensitivity around the IPG, I would say that is cause enough to place a call to the doc and rep. If your SCS is working well for you, but you can't charge it without creating that much unbearable discomfort, you really should speak to the doc. There may be something going on there, that needs more than just simple NSAID's