Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New problem... depressed and worried.... Need some wisdom

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone.... 18 months ago had anterior c6-c7 with the total hardware package. I felt absolutely wonderful for the last 17 months. Suddenly, I have this incredible pain below this area. Went back to the NS and she put me back on Vicoden and have to go to PT for 2 weeks. She says if not improved, then she will have to do 2 tests to determine what the new problem is.... Basically, I am out of my mind again.... I don't want to have to go through this all again but the pain is increasing and the PT is doing nothing... does anyone know which tests she will order and why she did not order them immediately. Why is she taking the conservative approach again?? She said that perhaps the c6-c7 never fused, or that the area below is now the issue. She said she may not be able to assist me and may have to spend the rest of my life with a PM doctor...
I am difficulty working because the pain is really tough to bear and taking the pain meds makes me kind of stupid and I feel that I am going to mess up my job.... When does one determine it is time to try for SSI and how do I live while that is happening?

• Wow you are drawing a lot of bad conclusions without even knowing what is wrong. Maybe it is something simple (which I hope) and that is why she wants to go conservative. Don't rush. I know this is easy to say but I have been in this position so many times and find my mind gets in the way or reasoning.
    You must realize that until she would get another MRI or whatever tests she means, she cannot tell what is wrong. She is hoping it is just a minor issue and time will heal it before ordering more expensive and unnecessary tests. Give her a chance and remember to breathe. Things will work out, just take it one day at a time.
  • Personally if I were experiencing more pain I would insist on a MRI before starting therapy.

I had a MRI and CT that were normal and my surgeon just followed me for a while. 11 months later therapy was suggest. I still didn't feel right and went to the ER the next day and a new MRI was ordered I had a large herniation at the C 4-5.

Not that this is your case but if therapy makes it worse stop and listen to you body. Most of the time we know when something isn't right.

I would want to know if I have a failed fusion or herniation before I started therapy.

Just my opinion,

• I don't understand her not doing an MRI first to try to figure out what's wrong before suggesting PT which may or may not help if you don't know what the problem actually is. Why don't you ask her about why she doesn't feel an MRI is necessary. I realize the cost but we're talking about your spine. Please at least ask her why she hasn't done this I for one would be curious to know her response.
  • I too had severe pain several months after surgery. I had gone to physical therapy but it was not getting any better. My surgeon had me stop PT until they did another MRI. When that came back OK (not totally clear but nothing that would cause any major problems)then they started the PT again.

I agree with the posters above - it wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor to do another MRI. Are the two weeks about up?