Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Pain and Shoulder Pain MRI confusing

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

Ive had neck pain and limited range of motion for sometime. Its now getting worse as to include the following symptoms

Occasional numbness in my arm when head is tilted to the side. Neck Pain and pain in between shoulder blades. When I rest my hands on top of my head with fingers clasped (sitting) I feel lightheaded and also feels like I get heart palpataions. I also have sever shoulder pain thats tender ot the touch and hurts when I raise them above my head. Dont know if the shoulders are related yet or not to neck proble. When doing activities sometimes my arms feel like rubberbands afterwards and very weak. More so then should happen. Anyway Im in a decent amount of pain and I take medication for it and it helps normalize my life almost. I had a MRI and have yet to discuss the results with my Doc but here is the results if anyone can make any sense about it...

c6-7 There is a very subtle central protrusion inferiorly of questionable significance. The neuroformina are widely patent.

c4-5 No significant disk disease. Combination of bulge and bone slightly flattens the anterior CSF space predominatly in the right lateral recess; however, there is still a large amount of anterior csf space

c3-4 There is a protrusion that is right paramedian nearly obliterating the anterior CSF space. It is broad based with transverse oblique dimensions of 9mm and the AP dimensions of 4mm. Neuroforamina are patent.

c3-4 is notable for a right sided protrusion that is right paramedian in location indenting the anterior cerebrospinal fluid space.

Any clues what this means? Sorry so long winded but I want to go into my appt not completely ignorant so I know all my options. Thanks in advance!

• Welcome to the site. Although none of here are doctors and really don't have any medical training at reading MRI's I can offer you this. I would be surprised if your doctor didn't offer some sort of treatment to you after your MRI. I however could not even begin to assume what that might mean to you. When is your appointment to see the Dr. about the results? I hope it's not too far off. I know how hard the waiting game is to play. As soon as you see him please let us know what he says and we will be here to help you sort it all out. There are lots of great people here who will answer many if not all of your questions after your appointment.
  • It is difficult to understand the terminalogy, is it not! I finally got my hands on my own report, because no one seemed to tell me exactly what was going on. I will be interested in what your doctor tells you for treatment. I have alot of the simalur conditions and symptoms. When i told a nuero doc about the dizziness, he said, I must have an inner ear problem! I think it is related to what is going on.

Like you I had a lot of heart palpatations, but what seemed to be evident in the end of that, was simply I was having panic attacks. They are very scary and real. A very good friend of mine, an er nurse for 20+ years, took herself to the er when they were happening to her - they feel so real! What helped me was to talk about them (i kept them a secret - embarassed) after I spoke about them, when they happened, i could get myself out of them, once I knew what they were. Not saying that is happening to you, but could be!

take care and let us know what the doc says.
  • hello if anyone could help me.these are the results of my cervical MRI ---- displacement of CSF. and osteophyte formation c3-c4. degenerative changes. moderate size protrusion c3-c4.

please help thanks what is CSF?
  • I doubt you will get anyone here to even attempt an MRI interpretation. You must seek a qualified professional for that.
    However,I'm wondering if you symptoms may have a close relationship to mine.
    I have had chronic neck pain for zillioms of years, along with periodic shoulder pain, all made worse by any arm activity-swimming, raking, sweeping, computer etc. Was diagnosed with arthritis and told that my neck was just worn out, Treatment was pain meds. When this wasn't enough, I was given facet injections.
    This gave some relief, but it was quite variable, and not a dramatic improvement.
    My pain Dr retired so I now have a different one. He did something unusual-he actually examined my neck!
    Found very tense and sore muscles everywhere. He said that the new x-rays didn't indicate any significant narrowing of nerve passages. So his diagnosis was that my chronic neck pain was caused by muscle tension, saying that he found this a lot.
    He referred me to a clinical physio,who drew up a plan of gentle stretches and exercises, along with remedial massage.
    Well, the results have been dramatic. The massage has had the most effect, getting the knots out and the muscles relaxed and stretched. not easy, but it gradually works. I'm now going weekly, and have about 40 minutes at a time.
    The masseuse is finding lots of muscle problems, and says that what i have will definitely cause my neck pains.
    Since starting this treatment, my neck pain has reduced dramatically, and I'm starting to get back into life again.
    Also sleeping much better.
    So, in your case, I would strongly suggest that you see a qualified remedial massager and see what he/ she thinks. I have no doubt that you will have severe muscle problems that are either causing or contributing to your neck and shoulder pain.
    Please DO IT!!!