Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Girl problems after PLIF

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So this is kind of an embarassing/very personal subject to talk about but I know I can find some answers on here...hopefully :)
I had PLIF done 11-18-08, so I am about 8 1/2 weeks post op and doing pretty well. I have lowered my intake of meds to only 1 Dilaudid daily and 1 morphine daily and taking still 3-4 percocet a day.
My question is, I got my period the day I was released from the hospital which was 11-21-08, but I have not gotten it since. My husband and I have been intimate, not very much it is still pretty painful to tolerate. I took a test and it was negative. I guess I am wondering, can the trauma from the surgery effect a womans menstraul cycle? I lost quite a bit of blood as they told me they almost had to do a transfusion, the surgery was 4 hours long. I am a pretty small person as it is I haven't lost a drastic amount of weight since the surgery probably only a few pounds so I can't imagine that being the problem.
Just wondering if this happened to any other woman after surgery. I know the meds can sometimes have an effect on hormones so I am aware that could be a possiblity.
If anyone has any insight it would be very much appreciated! Hope everyone is having a good day I know us spineys have our good and bad days!
>:D< >:D< >:D< -Michelle

• Michelle , going through surgery , meds , stress , etc....there are a lot of things that can throw your menstrual cycle off. Have you mentioned this to your doctor? If not , then I would think that you might want to because this is something that you will want to keep an eye on. You and your body have been through a lot and hopefully it is just the stress of it all throwing other things out of whack....but check with your doctor just to be on the safe side if you haven't already. The best of luck to you on your road to recovery and if there is anything that I can help you with then please just let me know. Please keep us posted , as you can , to how you are doing....take care....Miki
  • I took urine pregnacy tests for both of my kids and they were negative. I would have a blood test and sure enough I was pregnant. Needless to say I found out much sooner with the second one as I didn't know my urine was useless. The doc told me I just don't produce enough of the hormone that early like most women do.

Also with the stress, meds and all of that and you are on the pill it could be the reason. If you have been on birth control pills,patch,shot whatever long enough it would eventually cause you to have no period....AHH the good old days of being on the pill...sigh(lol)

You might want to call like the other poster said. You can call your OB/GYN doc you see or if you don't have one the primary or whoever prescribed birth control if you're taking those...and discuss your concerns if you think you might be pregnant. I was 16 weeks before I found out about the 1st one because of those tests, spotting and taking the pill. Not trying to freak you out just saying you wouldn't be the only one it's happened to if you're pregnant.

Good luck
  • I was supposed to get my period the day after my ALIF last week (and I am on the pill, like clockwork), but it was a day late and more than a dollar short. Barely anything. I chalk it up to physical trauma and stress, but will continue to pay close attention...
  • and didn't bleed for 7 months. When I had my microdiskectomy, I had lost 20 lbs in the 30 days prior. Right after my surgery, I GOT my period. It lasted a long time.

I am the opposite, but peoples bodies work in different ways. Hope this helps.

• I got my period the day after surgery :O which was 2 weeks early.
    SInce then (last May) I have had only 2 or 3 periods and they were pretty nothing.
    I was very aneamic after surgery and had transfusions. My HB is still low 9 months later.
    My GP says the lack of is due to the anesthetic (12.5 hrs) and that it will eventually right itself.

However I am not in a relationship and it probably is worth you gettting a blood test for pregnancy just to ease your mind.

Blessings Sara O:)
  • I have only missed a period three times in my life and they are in the kitchen eating dinner right now....lol

I did however miss my last period (I guess that would make it four times).

My surgery was 12/19 and I had a period a week before that so right about the 11th or 12th I am regular like clock work and I have not gotten a period.

I asked the doctor and she said this is normal from the trauma/loss of blood, etc....

I have my tubes ties so I know Im not pregnant,

I hope this helps...

• I had the mirena IUD inserted in May and I really haven't gotten a period since my ALIF L5/S1 fusion 7/1/08. I just spot here and there. It must be the trama of surgery but I agree with the others, you should check with your doc.