Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anterior Diskectomy C3-C7

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Okay, so I have no choice in this one. I am only 35 years old but the damage was done 20 years ago. I am really excited to just feel better. I have got to quit smoking though. Any suggestions??

• I don't have any suggestions. Just wanted you to know I will be thinking of you. That is an aweful lot of work to have done at one time.

• Welcome to spine-health. Good luck with your upcomming surgery. My wife actually took my chewing tobacco away during my first surgery. Knock on wood since I have not started again. I know it is not easy, perhaps your doctors may have some ideals to try. Just my thoughts.

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I know exactly how you feel. Take it from one smoker to another...if you can find a way please let me know. Maybe Chantix? I've heard it really helps some people. Do you smoke very much and how long have you smoked?
  • I dont know what can help you but I found out that smokeing probably helped put my back in the way it is. I quit the day of my operation. Dont want any more damage from something I can control.
  • I have been smoking for almost 20 years. Eek!
    Because of other medication I am on, they are afraid chantix will cause nightmares- yikes.
    Anyways...I would rather quit smoking that continue not being able to do the things I want to do.
  • I did just have a C4-C7 ACDF and I like you suffered for a long time. I feel so good I am sorry I didn't have the surgery a long time ago. And Yes on my discharge papers it did say absolutely no Smoking. So maybe thinking you will be pain free will help you stop smoking...

Good luck
  • Good luck with your operation. Have you tried wellbutrin?. Ask your Dr. to help. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hello... just thought Id post what my NS said to me about my smoking... QUIT yeah right simple huh? lol... Anyway he gave me Chantix, and although there are some people that have had side effects of nightmare, suicidal thoughts, depression, I had no side effects what so ever... except you should eat something before taking it, otherwise it makes your stomach feel like someone punched you, I learned that the hard way. The great thing for me was that about 2 weeks of taking Chantix smoking lost its pleasure for me, so I just stopped. I did not have cravings for cigarettes at all, I would still think about smoking ALOT, but never craved them. I also used Halls cough drops as I used to smoke menthols and that really worked for me. My NS said that if I smoked when he did the surgery I would be in a hard collar for months, if I quit I would get a soft collar. He has since released me and I dont have to see him again unless my cervical issues start bothering me again... so far when I experience the pain its manageable, my chiro is a God lol.... Good luck to you!
  • Well I started Chantix today. It is making me hyper. ha ha
    Hey, if it works, I am all for it but DANG is it EXPENSIVE
  • It worked for me, in less than 2 weeks I had no craving for a cig. I did have the vivid wild dreams. It is expensive but think about how much you spend on cig and it doesn't seem so expensive then.