Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Found out what the LUMP was! It was a Seroma.......

jenfabjjenfab Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
has anyone here ever had that? Its gotten quite big so i went to see my Primary care doc yesterday. He called my NueroS on the spot but he was in surgery. have tried to find out today...but both docs are unavailable! Just love the waiting game ~X( ...but I guess if it was urgent, they would have told me right? So I guess I will wait to find out if i need to drive an hour to see NS or not.

btw- I am 11 days post op my 2nd microD

• Let us know what you find out (hopefully it's soon). I suspect, as you did, that they are not overly concerned since they didn't send you directly to the hospital. Hopefully that's a good sign and not a sign of neglect.

Good luck.
  • I had a seroma after my PLIF last January. It was visible on a MRI at 3 weeks. It was nothing I could feel from the outside. Often they just reabsorb into the body, which mine did. I have no idea how long it took as I didn't have another MRI until Sept.

I would assume someone would have called you by now, but maybe there was a miscommunication between offices. If you don't hear tomorrow I would call your surgeon.
  • They should put you on antibiotics and possibly drain it. They may drain it in the office. I had mine drained in the office and had oral antibiotics then a few days later went to office and had emergency surgery and have a picc line for iV antibiotics. THIS IS RARE FOR IT TO BE SO SERIOUS, please don't panic. The doc found necrotic muscle tissue when he cleaned out the seroma and put in two drains. I AM A RARE CASE, do not panic

I would imagine you ned to be on oral antibiotics like Keflex(cephalexin) just in case. The body might reabsorb it on its own. My difference was that I felt sick, just really sick and my pain was out of proportion to what it should have been. It hurt really bad and I felt like I was getting the flu-nausea, body aches, incision hurt really bad, severe fatigue, and just sick.

Most people don't feel that sick with a simple seroma and usually the body just reaborbs it, so please don't let my horror story scare you. I just want to let you know that your surgeon needs to see you and follow it. I would bet he puts you on prophylactic anitbiotics by motuh just to cover in case. As long as you don't feel "sick" and are progressing, You should be OK. BUt please, see your surgeon or your sugeon's pa or np.

• In my case, it had actually gotten so large that it began draining from my incision about 5 days after surgery. When I had a sudden gush of fluid from my back, I called the on-call doc since it was about 10:00pm and was told to come into the ER right away. They kept me overnight in the hospital and had to surgically drain the seroma. They also put me on Levaquin as a preventative measure. My seroma ended up being about 300ccs.....that's pretty big!