Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Funny Question

alcbaalcb Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:27 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Goofy question, but maybe someone has asked this question of their surgeon before?? :))( Ok...going to have a back-front-back procedure (360). I've had 2 c-sections and 1 hysterectomy, and I have a pretty wide split in my rectus abdominus muscles from pregnancy. It would stand to reason that I could benefit from increased core stability and it would improve my chances of a fusion this time. I could easily have my abdominal incision continued, my vertical abdominal muscles sewn tightly together and the extra fat and skin removed....voila....tummy tuck! If ya gotta go back in to have another surgery, you might as well get something out of it. My trick is to get insurance to pay for it. Other than having a hernia, I'm not sure if a tummy tuck has ever been paid for. Anyone try to wrangle this, or even have a tuck to be able to tell me how it would blend with this surgery??? Dumb idea I know, but it would be a nice reward once I was recovered! :>

• Wow, I think that would be a great idea. If we have to have surgery and go through all that recovery it would be a nice reward.
    Take care and keep thinking up good ideas.
  • I thought about that too but never mentioned to the surgeon although I wanted to but always forgot. I have the same thought as you. They have to go in anyway. I had to pay for 2 surgeons so I might as well get my money worth but I didn't ask. Let me know if you find away around the system and get them to pay.
  • I'm getting a "mini" tummy tuck out of my ALIF next week! The general surgeon who's doing the open and close told me that he'll take some of the extra skin out when he closes me so that the wound (incision) will heal properly (without interference from that extra skin). I'm going to be sure to remind him on the day of surgery that he can feel free to take as much skin as he wants! LOL

So, insurance is paying for mine!!
  • That sounds like a great idea to get a little tuck at the same time as back surgery. Why not?
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • You HAVE to let me know how it goes!!!! I am SO jealous! I'm glad to see that this makes sense to others as well! I've been known to think outside the box, but sometimes it's outside the box and off the table! I like the idea of the wound healing better too...ewww, but I have that gross "apron" of flab and skin that's been hanging around since I had my girls...I remember my incisions getting sweaty and gross. Maybe I can take that angle too!

Momof2--good luck with your surgery next week! Let us all know how you do! Also, enjoy your new tummy! Hard earned, well deserved! :)
  • Sounds like a winner to me!! Now that's what I call "value-added" surgery. Take care and let us know how it works out.
  • I'm trying not to get TOO excited about it...the surgeons said it's not a full blown tuck and I won't be like I was when I was 17, but I'll notice a difference! That's fine with me! I haven't been the same since I had my kids either! So bring it on! LOL
  • that did get a tummy tuck. Gosh, I can't remember her name! But she did get a complete tummy tuck.

Hopefully she will chime in. :)

• I was able to get an abdominal scar revision. I had the right side of my abdomin opened horizontally several times from the time I was 15-25. This caused scar tissue, pain, sores and a very uneven appearance as you called an apron. They opened from hip bone to hip bone to even the skin out, and remove the scar tissue. Unfortunetely, they wouldnt touch the muscles and consider it a full tummy tuck. At least it got rid of the ugly shelf I had,lol.

Good Luck! Even if you cant get it done with your surgery I would try for later.
  • Your definitely thinking positive...gotta give you credit for that.
    It almost sounds like you've been through what i've been through, it's no picnic i know, i can relate.
    It's too bad you have to see the surgeon, i did that and boy...there's so much i would change...like never having back surgery to begin with and going to ER earlier.

Anyways, good luck with insurance, i don't know of anyone that would pay for that unless it was absolutely necessary to your health and then, you might have to fudge some records. And i don't know any doctor that would do that.

Good Luck!